Overflow help

Fins

<H1>Overflow help</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: beardie</STRONG><BR><BR>In my 6x2x2, im having trouble trying to get the flow from the weir to the mini reef the same as the pump from the mini reef to the tank. Im not sure if anyone will understand but i'll give it a try.

<br>

To overcome the large drop the water has to fall going from the tank down to the mini reef via the overflow i attached a tap in between the bulkhead and the mini reef so i could slow up the flow and therefore increase the water inside the overflow.

<br>

However im struggling because the water level inside the tank and also inside the mini reef is either going up or down

. (ie - if the water level in the mini reef is going up i slow down the flow from the weir, however this in turn increases the water level in the tank) which is bad because either the water will overspill from the tank or from the mini reef. Anyway like i said its hard to explain, however i may be able to clear things up if you guys tell me which bit is alittle unclear.

<br>

<br>

thanks

<p></P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: diversmurf</STRONG><BR><BR>you'll end up chasing your tail if you try to adjust the flow with a tap! If the flow rate of the pump varies at all, it will change the flow rate of the water returning to the sump.

<br>

The whole idea of the overflow is that you do not need to regulate the amount of water entering the sump because it is exactly the same as the rate the pump is pumping the water back into the tank.

<br>

<br>

diversmurf

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: chorrylan</STRONG><BR><BR>hi,

<br>

I agree with diversmurf... you're not likely to have much success with a tap on your drain pipe.

<br>

I take it that your overflow drain drops straight down to your sump does it?

<br>

and the problem with that is that it's producng a heck of a lot of noise and water splash?

<br>

<br>

If this is ther case then your solution is to provide the equivalent of an S-bend in your drain pipe to break the fall.

<br>

You can do this with a series of right-angle turns in your drain pipe though I just set one up using flexible clear plastic tubing which works better as you can make smooth curves and ensure the water never free-falls and hence minimises any noise and splash.

<br>

<br>

If it's actually something else you're trying to solve then ignore me...

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Laurie

<br>

<p>

<br></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: akroyd</STRONG><BR><BR>

www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe.htm

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: searlesy</STRONG><BR><BR>Here is a pic of my DIY durso, (minus endcap) the 2 45 degree bends are to offset the whole thing, as my OF is narrow, or alternatively I could have made a stockman pipe.

<br>

<br>

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Private Rich</STRONG><BR><BR>have you try drilling some small holes in the pipe that you stick it up in the mini-reef?

<p></P></DIV><p><p><div align='center'>The Sydney Cichlid Page ©2004</div>

Archived