Not new to cichlids but a long time absent

Ironbark

Hi all

Not new to cichlids but been away from cichlids for a good decade

However I've had at least one fish tank running for 35 years and use to sit through many auctions in the past at the Sydney cichlid scociety meets and started at the age of 12 years old now 40

I had marine for the past 10 years and now going back to cichlids always owned Africans but now want to venture to Americans but there isn't many options in LFS I remember though the ratio being what seemed 10 breeders there being only one American breeder and the rest African back then

Have we lost the Americans breeds

Similar experience here.

Started out with tropicals in my teens, then African cichlids, marine then took a good 5 year break but re-started the hobby when I moved to Canberra. I now run 3 tanks: 1 African and 2 South/Central Americans.

I love my Africans but I'll be honest, I find the Americans a little bit more fascinating. Reason I have never owned them in the past is I've always lived in a unit, but now live in a house with space for bigger tanks. American cichlids are more interactive and due to their size and intelligence can be treated more like dogs. Africans appear to be more ornamental for me. Nice to look at a group of them in a tank due to their colours but less as a pet you'll form a personal attachment to.

Gumtree is an option to finding American cichlids. You can also try the online fish sellers like livefish.

Andrew - Labyrinth Aquarium @ Campsie (Norms old shop) is definitely worth a visit if you're interested in Americans.

I keep Americans, but no breeding for me.
There are still a few guys breeding excellent quality Americans that have been for a long time, like Link2Hell & Sorroz, Pat Williamson has some very nice Geo's.
They are around. Once you know what you want - someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

I had 32 tanks running at one stage mostly Malawi and some tangs I remembered the days of buying young zebra species hajamalatis excuse the spelling ultra rare at the time I remover buying 20 young for like 15 each well by the time they where old enough to breed they where like $2 fish and one stage you couldn't give them away

I bought 6 jags yesterday 4 inch in size $10 each I'll let them pair off and sell the rest there in a 5 foot tank

I tank will end up as 2 then 3

Wow norms old shop still going I remember some mongrel dropping a chorine tablet in a display tank of his off memory he lost $$$$$$ worth fish

I think I'll make a ply tank next

Any of the Vieja and Geophagus breeds my daughter has a pair of kribensis so I want to start her of with Apistogramma and Rams also

Before I know it I can see my self dwelling in to tang shell dwellers to lol

Boy I can see my self getting hooked again lol

It all started last week end when I drove past St George aquarium to find it's no longer there wow that was a hobbiest temple to aquariums

Welcome to ACE.

Keeping fish always has its ebbs and flows, how many tanks your keeping, the popularity of particular species and what you are interested in. You can't ever get it out of your system.

There are some nice Apistos around from time to time.

Digital camera where not invented unfortunately

I do remember riding my push bike to the auctions at 5 though, I had a three foot tank inherited by the good people across the road I put that many fish in there not knowing you can't

I remember at 13 riding my bike from chipping Norton all the way down Canterbury road to look at Lams aquarium my 10 year old doesn't even play at the front of the house with out supervision lol

Times have changed

I only have 5ft tank and 2ft running at present the marine which is dismantled 5ft 2ft wide 3ft high which I'll reset soon but not as marine I might set that up as a Malawi display tank with colony of compresicepts excuse the spelling colony of peacocks and a colony of Mbuna and a colony of either Venustus or Livingstoni of some sort but I want to make a ply tank to, it's always been a dream

losing St George was huge for hobbyists and I don't see there being

another "Tardis" like that again

the Krib tank is the 2ft? I wouldn't add anything to it as once they pair and spawn

there won't be room for anything else

and you want to add Veija or Geophagus to the 5ft with the Managuense

plenty of Veija around and for Geophagus I would suggest one of the Surinamensoids

like Rio Branco or Pindare also there are Red Humps (Steindachneri) just

remember the Managuense will eat anything that they think will fit in the mouth

also have a look at Petenia splendida (Snook), Festae if you like red

maybe Polleni they are Madagascan but would fit in fine

The Managuese will remain in the 5ft they range from 4 inches to 3 inches and there 6 of them and already show hi aggression to one another I wouldn't dare placing anything else with then especially Geophagus there to timid I recon on the other hand a Veija as long as there bigger will have chance

I can see another tank coming on lol

Archived