joey13 - 5ft In-Wall Setup

joey13

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got some fish! After a series of partial water changes throughout the last week to bring nitrate down, I was able to give the green light late yesterday arvo and went to pick up my pre purchased fish. Sky far I have

1 x Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress). Best I have seen personally. Rapt!

1 x Aulonocara Maleri Chidunga Rocks

1 x Aulonocara baenschi benga

1 x Aulonocara stuartgranti "blue neon"

1 x Aulonocara Mozambique Hueseri

1 x Aulonocara stuartgranti cobue

2 x Labidochromis caeruleus

For some unknown reason since putting the fish in the tank water has got a ridiculous amount of what appears to be white dust which looks awful. It's been nearly 24 hours and no sign of clearing. It wasn't there before. It appears like there's some type of white dust/crust building on the rocks and when fish swim past it stirs it up. No idea what it is but it's craPting me to no end!

I use a bit of marine salt in my newly treated water. Could it be that?

I only use 3 teaspoons per 60L and I completely dilute it in new water beforehand. Bit odd though as I used to do this in my old setup and never experienced this nor have I seen it over the past 5 weeks.

It doesn't appear to be on the fish at all. They all seem ok other than usually hiding from the big move.

I did do a 50% water change yesterday before putting fish in. I've heard calcium in the salt is not very soluble and it could have turned back into the solid form instead of stating diluted but don't know how true this is.

Maybe I'll give it another couple of days and see how it goes.

Figured it out.

I was doing 160L water changes to try and bring the nitrate down which was clearly not enough.

I had achieved a 50% water change by filling a few extra 100L tubs. I didn't have heaters for them all and I had some very low flow pumps circulating it.

I normally let it circulate for a full 24 hours and by that stage it's also heated up so everything is completely dissolved. Because I wanted to get the fish in, I only waited a few hours and some of the water was cold.

Didn't dissolve fully hence why I got the problem.

Mate whilst seachem make great products, I refuse to by the ridiculously overpriced buffers. I wouldn't say it's the "best" either. It's virtually the same thing I use with a fancy container and sticker to go with it.

I'm happy with my $50 - 5 year investment which contains and does exactly the same thing. In fact, I have more control over my parameters this way.

White particles have rapidly cleared over the past day. Should be crystal clear by tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Sorry for lack of photos. The LED's are impossible to photograph.

After trailing them for a few weeks, I've decided that I really don't like LEDS's and much prefer fluros. Hagen have just released a new GLO unit which now has LED moonlights. In the process of ordering one of those. Going with a 4ft unit with a Power GLO and Life GLO tube. Once I have installed that, I'll be able to get some decent photos up. I hate the spotlighting and shadowing effects and it's nowhere near bright enough for my liking. Certain parts of the tank are so dark and impossible to see the fish.

The particles did clear some what but not entirely. I still don't have crystal clear water. I think its because my sump isn't covered and is getting crap into it which is pumping it up. Everytime I turn my sump pump off and then back on. My tank is littered with particles again. It's doing my head in.

Might try and vacuum the crap out of my sump and get some glass covers made up for it.

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=155

Thats what im running mate, 2x80w T5 HO and u have seen how bright mine is.

Not to sure if that model i linked comes with reflectors tho.

Thanks man.

That's hella expensive bro! Your tank does look sweet though.

Apparently the new Hagen GLO units with the LED Moonlights are real nice. They are a much better finish than the previous units (even though the previous ones were already good).

I got the 4FT Twin (2 X 54W T5HO) with a Hagen Life GLO (6500k Sun) and Power GLO (18,000k Actinic) Tube for $310 delivered to my door.

I filled up my first sump chamber with filter floss then wedged one of those carbo pads under last chamber panel before it gets to pump ,helped my tank clear up completely within 24 hours and been crystal clear ever since.

Thanks mate, I'll give that a crack.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well it looks like my Marine days are short lived. I think I'm coming back to Africans!

I have tried to do everything right but it's gotten to a point where I am no longer enjoying it.

Fish developed Marine Ich. I ended up haivng to pain stakingly ruin my reef scape to net all the fish. I let me tank run fallow for 8 weeks. Took all the fish through a 6 week hypo salinity treatment. I lost 3 fish that didn't make it. Remaining fish have been back in the display for approx 1.5 weeks and it has broken out again.

I'm extremely disappointed as I feel like it has beat me but I cannot afford to keep losing time, fish, money plus all the stress that goes with it.

hi guys just read through the posts gd job with the tank by the way.have you guys tried stefmar petcare online?check em out i shop there all the time dont know what postage would be to you guys at mudgee etc but im at st marys in sydney and delivery to me from botany is $5.50 doesnt matter if i buy 1 or 10 items same price.seachem products are cheap too you can also buy products for other animals as well.setup an account and away you go.you can pay by credit card or paypal

Archived