Tropheus for 6x2x2

Kimbo

What do you guys think is best to go with a 6*2*2 if possible? As i will probably have one of these available, and from what ive read the tropheus will appreciate more than a 5*2*2 also was wondering what type of filtration everyone uses on there tanks? Cheers guys.. so when is this tropheus sub forum coming about?:p

Kimbo...with a 6 by 2 by 2 u can add up to 60 tropheus easily!!!! If u have never kept tropheus before, it would be better to grow up some juveniles in it first and then add more when u get use to it. If u are a keen tropheus keeper then a nice colony of 40 wildcaught tropheus would be great! The decision is up to u whether u want to add two variants or just one variant of tropheus. If u decide on the 2 variant option try to minimize crossbreeding by only mixing moorii with duboisi or black sp. tropheus.

U are asking the wrong person about filtration since i overfilter all my tropheus tanks. But i think the key thing is to do 50% weekly water changes if u can! A matrix minireef with a canister filter plus an internal pump for circulation should be enough filtration for your needs. As u increase the stock level, u might need to be guided by the nitrate levels whether u need more filtration. But to err on the safe side i would try to add a little more filtration just in case! I also use UV filters on all my larger tanks and purigen but as i said i am a bit obsessive! LOL.gif

HTH

DAve

Kim...after schoolies etc. you are welcome to drop in again and check out the way I have set up the T tank in the house. It is a 4 x 18 but it houses my group really well...no aggression to speak of (and I have bubs getting around now too!). You don't necessarily need to go with such a huge tank. As Dave has said, regular/frequent water changes will enable you to go "smaller".

Andrea smile.gif

The Isanga looks brilliant i rekon, but unfortunatley Nigel cant get these, they seem to be farily hard to find, not many pictures on the net either. Thanks for the advice guys! and thanks for the kind offer Andrea after schoolies ill be sure to take you up on that!

Cheers

Kim

Kimbo- If you can fit a 6x2x2 and can afford to maintain it, then go for it. On the other hand, you will need to spend a fair amount of coin to set up such a monster and make it look nice. Your other choice was a 5x2x2. A tank of this size would be awesome, many people keep successful colonies around here in tanks far smaller. Having said that, don't make the mistake of buying a tank and wishing you went bigger. If you can afford a big tank and maintain it, then get one. I would love a 6x2x2 but I don't really have the room. My colony is in a tank that is 5 foot long, 20 inches wide and 24 inches high. They are going great in it and have lots of room.

Keleher- Same advice I guess. Go with the biggest tank you can afford, or you will wish you did. I wouldn't keep Tropheus in anything smaller than a 4 footer. Unless the tank is nice and wide, 5 foot and up are great tanks for a nice solid colony of Tropheus. As for your choice of Ikola, Jim, one of the major breeders around here highly recommends Ikolas since the whole colony colours up nicely, rather than just a few dominant fish. The good thing about Tropheus though is that many varieties have the whole colony colouring up nicely.

Good luck and have fun with your Tropheus adventures you two, you're going to love them. Just remember to do lots of research, and ask heaps of questions, it's what we're here for thumb.gifsmile.gif .

Jamie.

Archived