Salousi ?

Hoddz

Hi All. Finally got back into it new tank cycled and on the weekend picked up a colony of salousi but after they settled in on the weekend i noticed that they may not be Salousi and i am questioning on the males barring so i thought i would post some Pics here so the experts can tell me what you think?

IMG_2070_zps31d1cbcf.jpg

IMG_2068_zpscd2fb57a.jpg

IMG_2067_zpsb543d913.jpg

I have just contacted the guy i bought them off he said that he got the colonies wrong apparently i got the colony of chizmulu I am not sure that there that either. I am happy with the fish and will keep them for display letting them spit in the tank.

Let me guess, you bought them on gumtree right?

Its hard to find good quality saulosi anywhere nowadays, there are lots of crosses getting around :(

I have a strain I put together from two separate strains sourced from SE Qld and Sydney a couple of years ago. I swapped the males between the two colonies and since then have been selectively linebreeding with the best of the fry.

I pick out the brightest coloured females from each generation of fry and put them with a couple of males with nice thick bars evenly matched on both sides. After a few generations I'm starting to get some really nice fish, but I won't be happy until I cannot pick out females brighter than the others or males with better bars.

I have just recently set up a new young colony which is now breeding, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the fry turn out.

BTW guys, according to my Ad Konings book, the correct spelling is "saulosi", apparently they were named after one of the locals named "Saul" who was with Ad when he discovered them in the lake :)

Cheers, Doug

I got them from an ad on petlink. Yeah i should know better. Dont get me wrong i do like the fish whatever they are. And i wasnt planning on breeding and selling anyway more of a display tank plus if they do have fry then that will keep the food bills down good source of live food for them.

This P saulosi X P. nterruptus hybrid has been floating around for a number of years now.

When they popped up after the NSWCS Major Auction in 2013 L2H sent photos to Ad Konings and his response was the following

Ps. interruptus was crossed with a male Ps. saulosi. The narrowing of

the vertical bars on the male is something typical of interruptus; also the

light blue markings behind the eye. I think it is fair to say that these are

hybrids and not a "new" locality of which I haven't yet heard of.

Enjoy your cichlids!

Ad

See below for the thread.

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=57379&hl=saulosi&page=3

i have a feeling i know who is the person selling them off petlink

unless people know

this same thing will keep happening lucky hoddz had a gut feeling they not correct.

other will not know and just breed them and on sell them.

maybe naming the seller will help actual breeders not to cross lines or buy them for breeding.

Unfortunately guys, this is happening with quite a lot of malawis nowadays, not just saulosi. It seems to be more gumtree than petlink in SE Qld, but the pattern is the same. Somebody who doesn't know any better sells cross breeds to somebody else who doesn't know any better who then breeds them and onsells the fry to somebody else who doesn't know any better and so on :(

this is what i mean if we know 100% a breeder / person is selling hybrid or wrong fish

we should have a section that we can adress it.(not a name and shame)

and maybe someone :) call the breeder/seller up and explain to them

Well Decided that I am going to give them away to some one who wants them and knows there for display only or keep them in my tank and just let them die out. Spewing that i lost money on them but i do know better cause if somethings too good to be true then it normally is. lol. Finding it too hard to cull the lot or any of them for that matter.

Hoddz you are to be commended for the approach you have taken. :thumb

It has been increasing difficult to obtain quality fish when the trading takes place on sites that requires buyers to purchase sight unseen or poor quality photos are provided.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha there in light to this topic is there anywhere people can go to have a look at pictures to cross reference the breed of fish that they are interested in at buying... I'm a breeder my self and find from time to I look at google, but its the same, there that many different pic on there that the average person would not be able to tell the difference between a quality fish and a hybrid.

cheers Dave

Dave welcome to ACE Forums.

There are plenty on images available but they are not always true representations of the individual species. If I need to rely on online sources it tend to use the Cichlid Room Companion http://www.cichlidae.com/default.phpCichlid Forum.com. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php or those Malawi Cichlid species I use Michael Oliver's The Cichlid Species of Lake Malawi. http://malawicichlids.com

I also rely on Cichlid Press books

You can always post photos here if you are in any doubt. There are plenty of resident experts who are always willing to help.

Ha Ged,

Thanks for the links, they will be very handy. I also have a colony of salouis, that I'm not very happy with the male is really nice but the females seem to have darks bars through them, and the fry also seem to carry the dark bar as well.

Is it possible to line breed this out.

Archived