tank builders in canberra sydney area..

tankbuster

G'day there folks,

I'm currently waiting to hear back from a govengovernment job I've applied for in our nation's capital, and whilst it'll be a good return home, I have no idea in regards to tank builders in canberra or sydney, any info on builders would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dennis

capital aquatics are the only mob down here That does custom builds the rest come from absolute. He can order anything but can build tanks. He is shutting down his shop front in favor of a smaller office space as he hasn't made much cash selling fish but instead he is changing his path to do custom installs and maintenance jobs. He has a Facebook page.

Cheers

Rosco

G'day there folks,

I'm currently waiting to hear back from a govengovernment job I've applied for in our nation's capital, and whilst it'll be a good return home, I have no idea in regards to tank builders in canberra or sydney, any info on builders would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dennis

As Rosco said not a lot of choice in Canberra.

I recently had a tank, cabinet and hood made by Abyss Aquariums in Narellan, I found them very accommodating and willing to spend time to discuss what I wanted and make suggestions. Overall I'm pretty happy, the cabinet and hood look super, the tank is good but not perfect. Even factoring in the cost of fuel for two trips I saved several hundred dollars over the best local price and got what I wanted custom made.

Yea i figured there wouldn't be much choice in canberra, I dropped by jems aquarium in belconnen a month back so I guess it's good to see that place still going strong. Didn't have too many cichlids there though, but I guess I'm just spoiled by living down the road from smiths aquarium hehe..

Looking forward to the move back, and I'm keen on shipping my fish down with me. Would there also be any places that sell IBCs or decent sized containers to house my fish while I setup my tanks?

I ve seem this guy on gumtree here is the link. His name Paul. You can look at his ad. as title of "Fish tanks most sizes". The address is 36 nambucca st, Kaleen, ACT. A pictures from his ad.

$_20.JPG

Hope these help.

• 3 weeks later...

I ve seem this guy on gumtree here is the link. His name Paul. You can look at his ad. as title of "Fish tanks most sizes". The address is 36 nambucca st, Kaleen, ACT. A pictures from his ad.

$_20.JPG

Hope these help.

He's not a tank builder, he sells Absolute Aquarium tanks and furniture from his shed. I think he also does some breeding.

There are a few people who sell absolute stuff out of their garage in canberra these days gumtree will reveal all as mentioned. Breeding may be a little generous Mike lol I think the some of his fish come from absolute as well as some getting sent from qld from his son.

I think your best bet is being some Albus with you. :).

i had a group of 6 but got a bad shot of bloat that I've been able to beat out, lost 3 of my 6 though so I'm a little gutted, I've got what looks like 1 male 2 females left but would love a few more girls for the randy bugger hehe.. the boss has been using light n easy so at least I've got foam boxes for shipping haha!!

I'd love to meet as many cichlid keepers in canberra as possible Im keen to find out how you all get through winter..

I buy fish from the said "backyard" fish entrepreneurs in Canberra. I have a Malawi tank and have just started a South American one. Jems has the best collection of fish around but are quite expensive (I get that though - otherwise they will shut down like Capital Aquatics). You can also always make a side trip to LFS's when driving up to Sydney.

My 6x2x2's got 3 300W heaters and it got me through winter.

not as cold as Canberra here so hoping my2 300w and a titan 600w in the post plus my house heating will keep things cosy in my 6*2*2

I buy fish from the said "backyard" fish entrepreneurs in Canberra. I have a Malawi tank and have just started a South American one. Jems has the best collection of fish around but are quite expensive (I get that though - otherwise they will shut down like Capital Aquatics). You can also always make a side trip to LFS's when driving up to Sydney.

My 6x2x2's got 3 300W heaters and it got me through winter.

I always used to my breeding stock from sydeny breeders when I was breeding in large quantities. In fact recently I some of Dougs yellows down from QLD on a whim even though I am supposed be getting out fish LOL. I probably would still source my fish from the breeders I know even for display fish. Sadly these days I rarely make it to Sydney or the NSWCS meetings mainly because the inlaws have moved away from there, I never thought I would say that.

In my sump I only have 1 300watt in my 6x2x2, but I do spend a bucket load keeping my house really warm in winter.

I'd love to meet as many cichlid keepers in canberra as possible Im keen to find out how you all get through winter..

Big utility bills :) . The $150+ a fortnight I spent on electricity to run my room and 40+ tanks is one mof the main reasons I all but shut my room down.

cheers

Rosco

• 2 weeks later...

The day is upon me as far making the move down to canberra, on the weekend I'm coming down I'm also trying to tee up some lemon jakes So some busy times, I've been looking at setting up a small pool above ground to hold the lemon jakes whilst I sort out shipping to happen a month or so down the track. I'm looking at this

https://m.masters.com.au/product/101352831/driclad-medium-frame-pool-58x2-39cmx1-50m

My query is on how to insulate and

keep this thing at 26 during winter hehe.

Any tips?

Also has anyone used these for breeding? I'd love to hear about any experiences with them. I'm in half a mind to use something like this to grow juvies out quickly..

Archived