overflow box

frontoes

I'm guessing you mean the drain pipe in the overflow weir

the water level in the weir is determined by where the holes are drilled in the pipe

usually they are drilled up the pipe and it is them wrapped in filter mat to pre filter

the water before the sump to remove large sized waste and as the filter mat clogs

the water height rises

the tank water level is determined by the height of the overflow plate

the flow rate is determined by the pump and flow at the return tap

if you want to have a weir and no drain pipe you need a pre filter sock on the drainpipe

into the sump to trap large detritus from smothering the bacteria on the filter media

just remember the height of the drainage point is the water level with power off so make

sure your sump has the capacity to take the volume if there is a power outage

the drain needs to be larger than the return as it is gravity feed and return is pumped back

Link2Hell,

Yep your right, the drain pipe has holes right across it and it is normally covered with pre-filter wool which I dont normally do it anymore.

My sump is a wet and dry trickle with spinning arms and I'm not sure how I can use a pre-filter sock as I believe I dont have the space to have one.

The reason is because I'm thinking of having filter media in it... but not sure if I can due to my sump setup.

Should I keep on using filter wool on the drain pipe???

Cheers mate

with a spinning arm you need to be able to pre filter so nothing clogs the exit ports on the arm

and seeing that it needs to be plumbed direct from the weir you have to pre filter at the weir

the options are

to remove the spinning arm and use a spreader plate over the bio ball tower that should be above

the water level in the sump allowing you to use a pre filter sock

if you 're not using a bio ball tower then you don't need a spinning arm

use a 3D background around the weir and onto the back glass so it hides the weir and joins into

the back of the tank

use a piece of black foam in front of the pipe but leave a space between it and the weir glass

so it hides the pipe and pre filters like a Matten filter

how is your sump set up ?

Archived