sponge to go over my suction?

Donny Brasco

I tried searching on this forum and all over the net and kind find anything, im trying to find sponge style material (like a sponge filter) that i can slip over my normal external filters suction tube.

not going to go into great details but basically on a specific tank i am setting up for breeding fish i have a 700lph external/overhead filter set up but the suction tube is your standard plastic grille style, where as i would like to slip a sponge around it so no fry will get sucked up if that makes sense.

I have tried ebay and various online shops but cant find anything so not sure if its a thing i can buy or possibly something im going to have to make.

Search internal sponge bio filter on google or check out aquaholics on line. Or DIY. Clark rubber or other rubber and foam shops usually stock water filter sponge. You can get the size you want then use a sharp knife to make a hole suitable for your intake. Just watch you dont reduce flow to intake.

I have some that might suit. They are round internal sponge filter replacements.

What size pipe does it need to over?

thanks guys ill check it out over the weekend but yeah was thinking about going to clark rubber and buying something or just moding a normal sponge filter, i just wasnt sure if there was an off the shelf sponge i could buy

all good thanks for the quick response guys

I have used a sponge i bought from super cheap $2 for a pack of two. Normally used to wash your car, cut the sponge in half and end up with four, i then used a piece of 20mm copper pipe sharpened at one end to cut a hole for the intake to fit, use it like a drill only do it by hand, workes a treat for me and also saves a lot of crap getting into your filter, just take it off once a week and give it a good clean depending on the bioload. Keeps your tank nice and clean.

Archived