Cloudy eye.....what treatment next?

brucem

My alpha male frontosa has bumped his eye badly and it went really cloudy. I initially treated it with melafix for 7 days with no noticeable improvement. I waited 2 days, did a water change then treated with myxazin for 5 days are recommended on the bottle. Did a water change and waited 5 days, but while there has been some improvement, there is a long way to go.

Should I retreat with either melafix or myxazin? Should I try something else? If so what?

I'd hate for him to lose an eye, but it's been a couple of weeks and I'm starting to think it's not going to get better.

Any advice welcome

When eyes get damaged, sometimes a protective film grows over while it recovers underneath.

Eventually it comes away and all good.

But if injury is to much,, it won't heal back to normal, but end up disfigured in some way.

Treating it will help aid healing faster, but it won't perform miracles.

My alpha male frontosa has bumped his eye badly and it went really cloudy. I initially treated it with melafix for 7 days with no noticeable improvement. I waited 2 days, did a water change then treated with myxazin for 5 days are recommended on the bottle. Did a water change and waited 5 days, but while there has been some improvement, there is a long way to go.

Should I retreat with either melafix or myxazin? Should I try something else? If so what?

I'd hate for him to lose an eye, but it's been a couple of weeks and I'm starting to think it's not going to get better.

Any advice welcome

HI Bruce

If your frontosa doesnt has big damage on his eyes, i only use Melafix and Epsom salt, remember changing 30% of water every 2 days. Good luck mate

With fronty tank, i don't put any rocks in the tank, esp Holey Rock is a trouble maker. As frontosa always jumping when someone walk pass or you are turning off the light at night.

Cheers

Peter

I'll restart a melafix treatment with regular water changes.

I've got a couple of rocks in there which I think helps to provide some cover and security but aren't good when they do spook and bash into them

I added a couple of dithers to calm them down a while back but they ate them!!! Actually there is one dither left - his name is lucky - Haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

I've been doing water changes every 2nd day and adding melafix after the change. Things are improving with his eye. It's maintained its shape and he can still move it around, and the cloudiness is slowly getting less. I don't think he can see clearly out of it but I'm pretty hopefull that, in time, he'll make a full recovery.

I'll keep going with the water changes

Archived