New life spectrum

Surtac

Guess I don't really look for as much as you guys do with a fish food, I figure my nitrates are around 20ppm before a water change, fish aren't karkn it, water is always crystal clear and seem happy in the environment I am providing them but I have to get my fingers wet. Thread sounds a bit over the top to me , what am I missing?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come look at my sumps and you will see first hand what a mess it makes.and as for getting ur hand wet to sink it well drying ur hands after each feeding with multiple tanks multiple times a day gets old real quick.

Got a tub that i refuse to use.hate to say it but all nls have done with their new forumla is convert ppl to the likes of new era.

Rant over.lol

• 1 month later...

I agree with your criticism of the seeming contradiction of my comment Skippy. However I will point out you didn't quote me fully as I finished by saying "...but it does so with only natural ingredients".

What I was trying to point out was, that on one hand everyone seems to say "they look better to me", regardless of what brand they happen to think is good. Which on one hand is fine, if it be true - AND that the improved colour is due to natural reasons (which was what I was trying to point out with my comment). But I was also saying to look at what the ingredients say is in the food; what is in it, and how they are listed (the order of listing that is) and so on.

If they "look fine" etc., read the label, and determine if they do so, even if your opinion is subjective, because of GOOD stuff that the food is made from. You can't just say, the "food is good because the fish look good" etc. without taking into account what the food is made from.

I am surprised that this thread is still going, and I must say that I do agree with the criticisms people here are making. Though I have not bought any of the "problem" batch. If a particular batch of NLS is made "better" and it has somehow changed it as advertised on the label, then the label also needs to reflect this change. So, if the pellet says it is sinking, and a better version of NLS is sold, which causes the pellet to no longer sink, then the container can no longer honestly sell itself as a "sinking" pellet.

I have sump outlets to most of my tanks, so tend to soak all the food anyway, there be it very briefly, before I put the food in the tank. There is always some of it that floats and dependant on how close the tank outlet is away from where you put the food in, will determine how much of this food that is still floating that will go to the filter. So, I use those plastic medicine cups that come with medicines such as cough medicine. As time goes by, especially if you have kids, you don't use the new ones as you have old ones left over from past illnesses to use. I have one each for each tank/section, I put the measured amount of food into each container, use a cup to dip out some tank water and fill each little container with it, before I add the soaked food to the tank.

On my big tank, I have, in addition to soaking the food, an "air curtain" that I can turn on, that is placed under the tanks entry to the overflow box, which pushes any floating stuff away. I have this connected to a timer so in a few minutes it turns itself off again.

Had a word with my LFS before I bought the buckets of new era. They said the supplier of new era was actually out of stock for a few months due to high demand where as the NLS suppliers are trying to push sales with reps turning up regularly. Note this info is from my LFS not every LFS so there may be some bias.

That's weird about the New-Era stock.. :) There is a warehouse full of it still available. But I am based in Melbourne. Nothing out of stock and another 6 pallets being delivered in January.

Fully Yellow, please PM me as my distributor in Sydney should have everything in stock, if they don't, I generally dispatch to the shop directly from Melbourne for overnight delivery :)

• 5 months later...

ive lost the nls love and have used new era many of times found the fish are healthier and also ive found with my electric yellows fattened up better after a little wasting issue where as nls never helped them they always had the sunken belly new era fixed that.i found mixing 20% red and 80% green new era my trophs got more colour in them and never had a red staining in the sump on the glass or filter matter.

• 8 months later...

Like an idiot I decided to try new life spectrum again. Like I said I'm an idiot!!! Thought they would have fixed the floating problem by now!!! Anyway got a full bucket of this crap. Going to buy another bucket of quality new era food.

I put my first post about the new life spectrum floating in 2013 as did many and they have done nothing about it??? Says a lot about what they think of their customers!!

Lost another one for life!!!!

Archived