New life spectrum

Surtac

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

One of NLS claim to fame so to speak is that it not only gives the fish good/great/better colour, but that it does so with only natural ingredients.

I personally want my fish to have good colour, but I don't want to do so with some sort of synthetic or unnatural additive. I know nothing about this New Era food, but IF it can make fish colour better than NLS, then I would investigate how they achieve this. Others are welcome to explain how New Era does this.

Read the back of any fish food you purchase. The ingredients by law need to be listed with the largest to smallest quantities. Compare, and make a purchasing decision off facts, not off subjective intangibles like “they look better to me” etc..

I personally have not had any of this batch of NLS that I have read is floating for too long. This is a definite hassle with any tanks with overflows to filters. But at the end of the day, if you really are not happy with this then take it back to the shop, NLS will reimburse the retailer (correct me if I am wrong Waruna), so the shop will have no issue with you.

Don’t let this relatively minor, though a problem, with NLS turn you off the best commercially prepared dry food for aquarium fish.

One of NLS claim to fame so to speak is that it not only gives the fish good/great/better colour...........

Compare, and make a purchasing decision off facts, not off subjective intangibles like “they look better to me” etc.

Hmmmm :blink

Mine floats as well, but as someone mentioned above, pinch it in your fingers and put it under surface for a couple of seconds and 95% of it sinks.

Not that big of a deal is it :huh: Sounds like it is a problem that's been rectified next time you buy it.

Has the problem been fixed

Have new batchs arrived ?

It's more than annoying having to soak or pinch food for 30+ tanks twice a day

When the pellet is suppose to sink in the first place.

Please let us know once problem is fixed so we can give it a try again

Till then I stick to sera flora and new era

i had this problem so what i done is ive got a small jar i scoop a bit of water in it then i put in the food for me abit of nls ,some orca ,some flake ,,,different things different days then swish it round then pour it in ,,straight to the bottom and its better than putting food straight in the tank because if you ve ever had a fry tank and just put food in and thought oh no to much this eliminates that it dose not slow my feeding down ,,,try it

I use NLS too, my fish are used to eating from the top so that does not bother me. What bothers me is the amount of waste that it creates, as soon as it is processed in the mouth it turns into a powder immediately. Which means half of it just swooshes out through the gills. I know this because all my filter wools turn red after 2-3 days since cleaning. When I clean the wool, the red murk keeps flowing out for a lengthy period. I am thinking of switching to Southern Delights as staple. From the reviews, they seem to create the least amount of waste. And it sinks too.

New Era > NLS

I've been using New Era for the last couple of months. Have been using it on a wide variety of fish; cichlids, natives and stingrays.

I am super impressed, will never buy NLS again.

What I like about New Era in comparison to NLS.

• Far less 'dust' when feeding.
  • Requires less food to be fed to your fish. Your fish also produce far less waste when fed New Era.
  • Brightening of colours.
  • It is a soft pellet, so you can squash multiple pellets together to make a larger pellet if required, which is great for large fish!
  • Slightly cheaper.
  • Highly palatable. I had some Petenia splendida, that were super fussy, wouldn't eat anything other than Hikari Carnivore, two days later and they are all smashing New Era. My stingrays also accepted it within a few days.

I just don't see why/how everyone wouldn't try it. Other than old fish keepers being stuck in their ways.

Alex

Also having issues with the product... 2.27kg NET means 2.27kg NET. Next time you buy a 2mm Thera A bucket, weigh the contents. I've had 4 that have been 200-400 grams light.

And yes, putting it in the water and letting it go, does seem to work.... however when feeding multiple fish and tanks, dipping wet fingers into the container isn't ideal.

Also having issues with the product... 2.27kg NET means 2.27kg NET. Next time you buy a 2mm Thera A bucket, weigh the contents. I've had 4 that have been 200-400 grams light.

And yes, putting it in the water and letting it go, does seem to work.... however when feeding multiple fish and tanks, dipping wet fingers into the container isn't ideal.

Very true that would essentially speed the process of mould or the food going off.

New Era > NLS

I've been using New Era for the last couple of months. Have been using it on a wide variety of fish; cichlids, natives and stingrays.

I am super impressed, will never buy NLS again.

What I like about New Era in comparison to NLS.

• Far less 'dust' when feeding.
  • Requires less food to be fed to your fish. Your fish also produce far less waste when fed New Era.
  • Brightening of colours.
  • It is a soft pellet, so you can squash multiple pellets together to make a larger pellet if required, which is great for large fish!
  • Slightly cheaper.
  • Highly palatable. I had some Petenia splendida, that were super fussy, wouldn't eat anything other than Hikari Carnivore, two days later and they are all smashing New Era. My stingrays also accepted it within a few days.

I just don't see why/how everyone wouldn't try it. Other than old fish keepers being stuck in their ways.

Alex

I seem to remember all the cool kids on the NLS bandwagon saying the same thing about the HIkari/Sera fanboys not too long ago :-D

I don't keep it simple but it seems to work. I mix 2/3rds 1.5mm tropical or SA cichlid pellet with 1/3rd aegis pellet.

im on the tropical atm and the colours have improved quiet a lot...

from what I have been told there will be a 4mm product released soon which will be better than squeezing the 1.5mm pellets together or chopping the 6mm ones.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Subject: Re: New Life Spectrum Fish Food: NLS 2.27kg Buckets short
To: <removed address>

<removed name>:
Were the buckets full to at least where the metal handle connects to the bucket? I am asking as to whether the volume of food itself was full.
In our quest to continually improve our product, we have recently revised our formula to reduce the amount of filler agents -- such as wheat flour -- in favor of higher-end items like more Krill, as well as supplementing the vegetable matter. While this renders each pellet more nutritious and able to deliver the fish more nutrition, we have discovered it also makes the pellets themselves somewhat lighter, as wheat flour is heavier than krill, spirulina and other substantive ingredients.
If the bucket was full to the same line, this means the number of portions is the same -- as you would still feed an equal number of pellets per fish. In light of this we are currently shipping buckets with revised weights on the labels, as well as noting the higher concentration formula. However, this may not immediately be reflected in stock on shelves.
If you have further concerns or questions, let us know.
Regards,
Ian M. Tepoot
New Life International

I've made this thread known to Ian - hopefully he understands our frustrations with the food before we all hop on the New Era bandwagon permanently. In the meantime, I'll be using what I have, then switching over to New Era myself if nothing happens. Considering... we spend damn good money on NLS in Australia - buckets ranging from $110AUD-$160... and in the US, it's between $50AUD - $70 from the research I've done, I hope that NLS understand we are not cheaping out.

This was my point from the start

If they know it does not sink(don't put sinking pellet on labels)

Do not send 30tonne of it out to countries

If they have changed the formula an know it does not weigh the same

Don't use same sticker saying example 2.1kg when it's not(don't use same labels)

They know they have done wrong but yet still pump it out world wide

To them us breeders buying buckets are a minority

There money is in the small jars for household use

And you will not hear a word from those guys cause they don't know any better.

It's a shame.......

I know people will go back to the refund business

But that's not my point :)

Well I'm now a big fan of New Era went through a bucket of the Rift Lake Green. Just purchased another 3 buckets from my LFS the cichlid red, green and also the plec pellets :)

I have to say I don't like the pleco pellets for one very simple reason.

There is never any left for the pleco's.

Never seen so many big angry (non-vegetarian) cichlids and a Saratoga go so mental for the greens.

Literally to the point where I'm not going to be able to buy it again.

It is a crazy problem to have.

Archived