New life spectrum

Surtac

Can anyone tell me if the problem with the cichlid formula pellets floating has been resolved. I need to buy another bucket but don't want most of it going into the sump like the last lot.

Surtac

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply. I didn't want to waste my money again.

Poor customer service you would think they would keep us updated & let us know when a new batch is due to arrive.

I might try new era as well.

Surtac

I have had the same problem. Had to stick PVC pipe to the side of the tank to drop feed in to stop it going into the sump.. I tried new era a couple of months ago and found the fish had better color. I will be going back to new era.

I have been using NLS for years, as I reckon its the best staple food. But it has caused me a hassle lately (like everyone else) when it floats it sticks to the top of my bulkhead. Then I have to clean it off and some goes in the sump.

I reckon the food is great, but I will have to switch due to this problem. It would be good to contact the company about it, I will if I get a chance.

I like the New Era food, but not sure 100% if it will be as good a staple pellet to use, as I've used a combination of NLS & New Era in the past. But I guess New Era is the best alternative.

New Cichlid buckets will be out in about a month or so, Thera A 1mm buckets from the new batch on the other hand will be out from this week.

I just spoke to the owner of the largest online store in AUS, they sell 60+ buckets a month, and to this date no one has taken up a refund from him. Apart from one customer who is in the process of swapping a 1mm bucket to another 2mm bucket we haven't had any returns/refunds either.

Sorry about the floating issue.

sure is Ben, the new blue buckets are apparently a new formula. its floats for hours unless you soak it before hand. bit disappointing actually.

It's not a new formula, the ingredients haven't changed. The only difference is the size of the pellets, they are a little bigger..

Nothing wrong with trialing other brands , then our customers will realize how superior our products truly are!

Nothing wrong with trialing other brands , then our customers will realize how superior our products truly are!

i wouldnt go that far, as stated in other posts here, ive found fish fed on new era look better, breed better and overall seem generally healthier.

reason i got NLS again is because its a tad cheaper, but it aint real cost effective if you have 3/4 of a bucket sitting on a shelf doing nothing or if you choose to use it most goes into the sump...wheres the value in that?

i wouldnt go that far, as stated in other posts here, ive found fish fed on new era look better, breed better and overall seem generally healthier.

reason i got NLS again is because its a tad cheaper, but it aint real cost effective if you have 3/4 of a bucket sitting on a shelf doing nothing or if you choose to use it most goes into the sump...wheres the value in that?

Why didn't you return the bucket and get a refund? We've always had a 10 day money back guarantee on our food!

Apart from the minor floating issue some customers are experiencing most of our customers are happy with our product., hence why we are yet to offer a single refund. The formula is a lot better today compared to what it was, there's more Krill and and algae meal, less starch!

A wise man once said "There is not a single product or a service that could please everyone".

i didnt know there was a money back offer, but it probably wouldnt have mattered....i think i bought it when it was on sale and didnt open the new bucket until a month or so after the date of purchase.

Sorry about the inconvenience.. I'm unable to organize a refund after few months have passed and when there's only 1/3 of the food is only left in the bucket.

nevermind, as long as others are aware of what may lurking inside their blue bucket

The fact that some pellets may float! Nothing more...

I contacted the company directly through the following email and got a reply. Email below:

My email:

Hello

I am currently having discussion with a lot of Australian cichlid enthusiasts about how the new batches of NLS pellets float.

They all say they will switch to a different pellet, New Era. But I have been using NLS for years and still believe its the best pellet, its just that the recent NLS pellets tend to float and then go straight into the sump or stuck on the bulkhead. Someone mentioned that it is due to the new formula.

I thought I would bring it to your attention that there is an issue with the floating pellets.

Regards

Reply:

I am sorry to hear that. We have performed a major upgrade to the ingredients and in fact the nutrition is quite a bit higher than the previous versions. That said, we do understand that a side effect was that certain batches of pellets were lighter, because filler weighs more than ingredients such as spirulina. This decreased density did cause some batches to float, which was discovered afterward.
Future batches do have the higher quality, but we are controlling for floating vs. sinking density. Of course, existing jars in circulation may be out, but upcoming shipments should not have this issue.

---------------
Ian M. Tepoot
New Life International
office: 305.245.1906
31950 SW 197 Ave.
Homestead, FL. (USA) 33033
I will be sticking with NLS and just releasing the pellets underwater for the meanwhile, but every now and then I add some New Era to mix it up a bit.
Regards, Rob

I won't be changing, simply because I don't like New Era. Whether the pellets float or sink doesn't effect me or my fish.

The floating pellets really only effect those with sumps/bulkheads and judging by the responses here it's less then 10 people.

My next question I guess is, With the "major upgrade to the ingredients" will the food be as good. I was under the impression that New Life Spectrum only used the best ingredients, so why did it need up grading?

Archived