What food do I use?

Gav

In an attempt to get all of the information in one place we would like to have people recommend the food or foods they use. We have a simple template below that will guide you on how to create your post. I have put in what I use, and since I have fish growing, breeding and on display I have made 3 different entries. You can make one, or as many as you need to describe how you are feeding fish.

Cichlid Type:

Cichlid Size i.e. fry, juvenile, adults, breeders

Brand(s) and Product(s)

Primary Food Product:

Combine Products i.e. Yes/No

Feeding Regime: i.e. frequency of feeding, frequency of each brand, amount, time of day

Additional Information

Please note this thread is assist others on your experience with food and what works for you. Please do not make any posts without using the template, as they will be removed without notice. The same is true for any posts that negatively reflect on any brand of food. Lastly ACE will not allow the promotion of foods with added male enhancing hormones and such posts will be removed.

Cichlid Type: Lake Malawis and Central americans

Cichlid Size fry through to juvis

Brand(s) and Product(s): New life spectrum, cichlid formula, fish focus growth formula

Primary Food Product: fish focus growth formula

Combine Products: i combine the food by feeding the growth formula first, then giving them a bit of the larger NLS to pick over afterwards. I have had better resuts this way than feeding either food on its own.

Feeding Regime: as often as i can. usually 2 times a day on weekdays, 4 to 5 times on weekends

Additional Information

Cichlid Type: Lake Malawis and Central americans (breeders)

Cichlid Size adults

Brand(s) and Product(s): New life spectrum cichlid formula, algae discs the same as at NSWCS trade table, the last of my prestige cichlid formula, hikari koi pellets

Primary Food Product: NLS

Combine Products: every day i am giving all adults the algae discs to just pick over with NLS and the Prestige pellets as a staple. once the prestige is gone i will probably get a new pellet to replace it

Feeding Regime: morning and night

Additional Information:

Cichlid Type: central and south americans, display tank

Cichlid Size very large

Brand(s) and Product(s): hikari koi pellets, hikari carnivore pellets, algae discs as above

Primary Food Product: hikari koi pellets

Combine Products: i feed the carnivore pellets once a week. now i have most the fish eating the koi pellets well i dont want them to get addicted to the carnivore again

Feeding Regime: once a day

Additional Information: the hikari koi pellets have given me more colour in the fish than any other food I have used. because it floats i find far less is wasted as sinking foods tend to fall between the rocks where nothing can get to it.

Cichlid Type: Lake Malawi (Mbuna)

Cichlid Size: Fry to Juveniles

Brand(s) and Product(s): NLS Grow Formula and Microworms

Primary Food Product: NLS Grow Formula

Combine Products i.e. Yes/No NO

Feeding Regime: Twice daily, morning and night with the Grow Formula and nightly for the Microworms. I tend to give them and extra feed on weekends.

Additional Information: I use a pepper grinder to grind the Grow Formula to start off with and then judge how the fry are coping. I stop feeding Microworms once they are out of the Fry Saver.

Cichlid Type: LAKE Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria,

Brand(s) and Product(s) Fish Focus,

Primary Food Product: Fish Focus Growth Formula, Fish Focus Breeders Formula, Fish Focus Multi Purpose Formula

Combine Products i.e. Yes

Feeding Regime: i.e. feed daily usually evenings round 7pm

Additional Information, Fish Focus Growth Formula is soft enough to grind up in the fingers for smaller newly stripped fry

Edited by johns

Cichlid Type: LAKE Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria,

Brand(s) and Product(s) Fish Focus, sera flora

Primary Food Product: Fish Focus Growth Formula, Fish Focus Breeders Formula, Fish Focus Multi Purpose Formula and sera flora

Feeding Regime: i.e. fry 2 times a day morning and afternoon , sub-adults , adults and breeders once a day Additional Information, Fish Focus Growth Formula is soft enough to grind up in the fingers for smaller newly stripped fry i also feed the fry brine shrimp freshly hatched and vinegar eels .

Edited by zigzagfish

Cichlid Type: Malawi Mbuna, Peacocks, Haps

Cichlid Size: fry, juvenile, adults & breeders

Brand(s) and Product(s): NLS Grow, NLS Thera A, NLS Cichlid, NLS Medium Fish formula, Fish Focus 40% protien.

Primary Food Product: Fry: NLS Grow. Adults and Breeders: NLS Cichlid, Thera A & Fish Focus 40% rotated

Feeding Regime: Usually once a day. Fry more often. I rotate foods using each food for about 4 days or so.

Additional Information: I will be incorporating Fish Focus 55% protein into the diet for new fry in the near future and the 48% for juveniles and Peacocks/Haps

Cichlid Type: Eartheaters, angels, other random small-med Sth Americans - housed with a dozen types of assorted tetra, corydoras, hoplo and flag cats, BGK

Cichlid Size mostly adult.

Brand(s) and Product(s) NLS Cichlid and NLS small fish (for the smaller fish to get at)

Primary Food Product: Probably the cichlid formula.

Feeding Regime: i.e. Daily, when I'm home. Probably miss 2 days a week, when I don't go home early enough at night.

Additional Information - I'm now only interested in having my single display tank, no breeding or anything else, I feed NLS as it's an easy choice as a solo food choice. Originally I just had cichlid but realised some of the tetras had trouble taking to it so included the small fish mix. Seems to be working well now with everyone looking full.

Cichlid Type Malawi , Tangs , American and Live Bearers

Fish Size Various

Brand and Products Fish Focus Growth Formula for my fry all types

Osi Cichlid Flake for the Fry as well

Adult Fish Osi Cichlid Flake or Sera Flora

Pellet Food HBH Or Osi

Treat Food For Malawis Fresh Frozen Mussels

Treat Food for Americans Worms from my worm farm

use as combinations

Feeding Regime night and morning

Additional Information

Cichlid Type: Central & South American, Malawi, Victorian

Cichlid Size: juvies, adults

Brand(s) and Product(s): NLS Thera A & Large Fish, Inve NRD

Primary Food Product: Inve NRD

Combine Products: Yes

Feeding Regime: once a day, alternate brand

Cichlid Type: Malawis, Victorians and Tanganyinkans

Cichlid Size: Fry to Juveniles and breeders

Brand(s) and Product(s): HBH 8 Veggie Flakes, Omega One Kelp Flakes / Veggie Rounds / Cichlid Flakes, Ocra Mini Pellets

Primary Food Product: HBH 8 Veggie

Combine Products i.e. Yes/No Yes

Feeding Regime: Twice daily, morning and night with the HBH 8 Veggie and kelp flakes and a Veggie Disk in the morning and Ocra Mini Pellets with 2 veggie disks nightly, the following day swap between the cichlid flakes and Kelp, also Baby brine shrimp for Fry for the first 3 weeks twice a week.

Additional Information: Flakes and Ocra pellets can be grinded with hand and fed to fry once free swimmers.

• 3 months later...

Cichlid Type: Lake Malawi, Tanganyinkans, as well as some from asia and america.

Cichlid Size: juvenile to adult

Brand(s) and Products: Hikari Excel Pellets, Sera San and Sera Flora, Hikari Algae Wafers

Primary Food Product: Sera San and Flora and the Hikari Pellets

Combine Products i.e. Yes/No Yes- Sera flora and san mixed in a bag

Feeding Regime: Once to twice daily, algae wafer every second day and as they're getting bigger more of the excel pellets during regular feeds

Additional Information: Bristlenose love zucchini quite regularly as do all the other cichlids. Feed them frozen brine shrimp, spirulina brine and cihlid diet once to twice a week also

• 5 months later...

Cichlid Type: Malawis

Cichlid Size: Juvies and young breeders

Brand(s) and Product(s): New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula 1mm cichlid pellets, Hikari Cichlid Excell 3mm pellets.

Primary Food Product: New Life Spectrum pellets

Combine Products i.e. No

Feeding Regime: Twice a day, once in the morning at about 7.00-7.30 am, at night about 7.30 pm Hikari around once a week . No food on Saturdays

Edited by TimB

Cichlid Type: Tangs ( Frontosa and Tropheus)

Brand(s) and Product(s) NLS fry and juvies - NLS Growth to 1mm thera A. Adults frontosa 3 mm thera A, Tropheus 1 mm thera A (twice a week frontosa get blood worms.)

Primary Food Product: NLS pellets

Combine Products i.e. No

Feeding Regime: i.e. Once per day, one day off food per week

Additional Information

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So I know this is an old post, but thought I'd revive it.. has anyone tried out NLS Algae Max? I've been feeding my fish exclusively NLS thera a formula (3mm before, now 1mm again), and nls flake, but saw the NLS algae max on some sponsor sites. Anyone got any comments/feedback about it?

• 2 weeks later...

My Malawi's weren't real fussed on it so I went back to Hikari Sinking Excel Mini Pellet which they have always smashed as well as NLS Thera A 2mm and Sera Troppi flakes and I feed these to all my cichlids from baby fry to adults I just put the NLS and Hikari in a old salt grinder to make it smaller for the fry