Neolamprologus brevis

Rod54

I bought 4 juvies early this year that turned out to be all males.....I'm getting a couple of females from the same source in early November :thumb

However I've just picked up an established pair from a chap who arrived here from interstate that are similar to mine (same locality type)

They haven't bred for him.

I was thinking that I would separate the new pair and introduce the female to one of my early males to hopefully provide a better gene mix....and when I get the new females try to get one of them to mate with the interstate male...for the same reason.

Is there any problems with separating an established pair?

As with most africans, they are pretty adaptable. Just watch them for a few days to make sure they don't "fight the new guy / gal" while determining rank.

The other thing you could try is putting all of them in together with enough space to set up separate areas. If you're lucky you can tell most apart by size or features and see if they swap around on their own.

As long as there aren't any deformities in your current fish, the chances are you have decent bloodlines anyway, and with several fish to start off with, will get a decent mixture anyway.

Archived