White BN?

wormboy

Hey all, just a quick Q. I found the fish pictured below in a LFS (but already sold dry.gif ) and I wondered if anybody could tell me what it may be. At first I thought that it was an albino BN but on closer inspection it had black eyes, some internal black markings on the inside of the gut cavity and some small black spots on the skin (check photos). Is this actually a white BN!?

If it is,1) has anybody seen them before, 2) how common are they and 3) could anybody explain the lack of melanin on the skin but not the eyes (genetically speaking).

Cheers all,

-worm-

user posted image

user posted image

It's possible / probable that my memory is failing on this one. I'm sure those among the forum gifted with more genetic knowledge than I will prove me wrong, but it seems similar to what I have heard of as a lutino.

In other words, the skin displays the characteristics of albinism but the eyes still retain pigment.

Still - it's one interesting looking fish and probably of great interest to anyone who has a breeding programme.

Cheers - OziOscar.

It just does'nt look right for a BN. The eyes are just not right. It could be a different ancistrus, but I don't think it is a BN.

I don't think it is a lutino, either. We know from albino BNs that they have a warm undertone - even in the albino form. That is just too white - even for a lutino.

Thanks for the correct term, Dark M. Well appreciated.

I used to be a bird keeper and the other term I used was what was used back then. smile.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Thanks all, I've tried planet catfish forums too and the general consencus there seems to be L144, a black eyed yellow BN (imaginative no?) as well.

I'm still not convinced that it is not a leucistic form of a BN rather than another species but perhaps that is what all L144s are.

Dale, what is a marbled BN?

Kimbo, the fish is at Seaview Aquariums, not too far from you. Just ask to see the albino BN that isn't an albino LOL.gif they should know which one it is.

DM, OziOscar or anyboy else, do you think you could explain the genetics behind leucistic animals for the rest of us seeing as how the term has been brought up?

Thanks for all the interest and replies,

-worm-

If it is an L144 (Blackeyed Golden Bristlenose), it is a pretty poor colour.

Also the first one I have seen in Aus. There are quite a few breeders of L144 in New Zealand and they are not all that rare or expensive over there.

Alan

If it is an L144 (Blackeyed Golden Bristlenose), it is a pretty poor colour.

True enough but given the dramatic colour changes exhibited by albinos when food source and tank conditions change I am resonably confident that the golden tint could be coaxed out of it. I have 2 juvie albinos that came in almost white and have gone almost orange with the diet and tank change.

Also the first one I have seen in Aus.

woot.gif cool bananas

-worm-

Hi Wormboy...

I'm not good at this genetic stuff - I just let nature take its course and get wowed by the results.

Am sure there are some budding Gregor Mendels and scientific souls among our numbers who can explain it quite fully. A volunteer, anyone?

Cheers - OziOscar.

You know who Gegor Mendel was Ozi, You must know something!

Archived