getting bristlenoses to breed

duboisi

need some help to get my bristlenoses to breed.they are in a two foot tank by themselves.definite male and female both over 10 cms long.lots of small pvc caves.the male goes into the caves but the female goes nowhere near them.i currently feed them zuchini and algae wafers daily.any help would be good.

im no pro, cause i only just got mine to lay eggs (but he kicked them out and they died cryblow.gif )

but keep the water around 24*C, and the bn well fed, well filtered and a good amount of air in the tank (i have an air bar going in my tank!)

so yeah thats my 2c

Perhaps you could try removing some of the spare caves and leaving either only 1 for the male or one for each. Make sure the female is fed well with a little bit more protein in the diet to improve her conditioning.

Perhaps you could try removing some of the spare caves and leaving either only 1 for the male or one for each.  Make sure the female is fed well with a little bit more protein in the diet to improve her conditioning.

when you say protein what type of foods do you suggest

Perhaps you could try removing some of the spare caves and leaving either only 1 for the male or one for each.  Make sure the female is fed well with a little bit more protein in the diet to improve her conditioning.

when you say protein what type of foods do you suggest

thanks i'll give this a go

Hey

I have 1 male and 2 females and they pump out the fry. He is fanning eggs as we speak. 24 is too cold IMO. Mine is at 27 or 28 to influence breeding. I have a ceramic log thing, only one. Other than that kepp water clean and they should pump out the little kittens like no tomorrow.

Best of luck mate.

Cameron

Well I also have not breed BN may times before and what i found to trigger them was to feed them well, I mean zucchini, alge discs and even some sinking pellets. I also found they dont dont like sparkling water keep it allite dirty it dont hurt them and they love it. Also throw in some nice chunks of drift wood aswell they loving having a good munch on that. As for caves I reckon have ago a building some of Matty's BN caves they are the best thing I have ever made and they are cheap as chips to build.

Hope that helps.. thumb.gif

Ben

one thing ive found in my experiences with them is to feed them and just not bother them.sometimes it takes them a while to settle in to a place before they start to look to breed.the males got to be happy with his chosen spot before hell guard eggs in it.if you annoy him he wont be comfortable.you dont need to check you see the fry when theyve done so.from there on out thier unstoppable

They'll probably feel more secure with the light off, but this might influence the behaviour of the offspring aswell. Just something to contemplate if you're planning to put the babies in other tanks that have light.

I find a single large water change 50%+, combined with a drop in temperature (to about 24/25*C) and reduction in the length of time the light is on usually works. Its supposed to simulate the start of the rainy (breeding) season dntknw.gif Usually works for me.

Archived