L104 requirements

Matthew

G'day

It seems that I have purchased some L104's. blink.gif , woot.gif

According Planet Cat they are

"A wood-eating fish, the tank should be decorated with several different types of driftwood. These fish really like to have something to chew on and squash, cucumber, and other vegetables should be readily available to them (yams are a favourite). Supplement two to three times weekly with frozen foods."

Does anyone have anything else to add to their feeding or other requirements for that matter? What should they be fed with?

PS. Maybe these could be added to the FAQ archives

Hey Matthew. ive never kept Panaqolus species but I understand that they do like munching on wood. Sera 'catfish chips' woob be a good food for them. they contain willow wood with bark and alder wood, Might be a good staple food for them.

HTH

Mike.

I've got some of the 104s. I have been feeding the pair, Hikari Algae Wafers and have already witnesed one of them having a good long munch on it. Also I put in three small pieces of driftwood seperated over the entire tank, hopefully this will give them enough territory and supplementary food/shelter.

I'm about to try adding in some sweet potato for them as well.

congrats on your new purchases Matthew and Wui, can you please if possible post a pic , id post a pic of mine but he is now hiding in his new tank a 3x18x18 which he shares with peppermints and bristlenoses, i bought mine as L168 but everyone seems to think it must be a L 104

Cheers

Sarah

ps im feeding my tank hikari wafers and odd slice of zucchini cant say i have seen him eat anything laugh.gif

Hi Sarah

Here is two bad pics of the same fish.

user posted imageuser posted image

The fish have been eating well and happily munch on the OSI spirulina HBH veggie disks and also on two day old (in the the tank blink.gif ) blanched zucchini.

Very timid but beautiful wub.gif

Matthew

hi Matthew

thanks for the pics, hmm mine is so shy too , but i think he looks the same so i guess i have a L104 and not a L168 as sold to me angry.gif , mine is quite orangy

well if mine every comes out of hiding i shall take a pic he usually hides behind plants so its hard to take a good shot

cheers

Spot on 104. L168/52 are much flatter and the yellow bands are much thicker. This fish (L104) is almost like a brown fish with thin yellow stripes whereas L168/52 is like a yellow fish with black/brown stripes...if you get what I mean.

I think gianniz posted a pic of the REAL L168 he took sometime back...

L104 are easy fish to keep. Very tough... not very particular about water parameters. They're also easily breedable. Think we'll see lots of locally bred L104 in the next year or so. tongue.gif

G'day Sarah

I am really happy with the purchase.

It will mean that I will be able to start off easily in the breeding realm of the L numbers and work my way up bigsmile.gif , well thats the plan blink.gif .

Archived