Cichlid Show Tank

mjoconr

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So its been over two month since I setup the tank and other than a little white shadow in the tank which I'm still trying to clear up everything is generally good.

The Yellow Lab I put in at the 3 week point are growing well and one of the Hungi is really colouring up (been trying to get a photo but he is hard to catch)

Labidochromis caeruleus (Two month from their purchase)

I'll try to get more photos over the next few days.
Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Can any one give an explanation for why my Cichlid's seem to mostly keep to one end of the tank and do not swim from end to end like I've seen ie on Youtube and at homes and businesses ?

They have always done this so it can not be water parameters. Which by the way are very good.

Thanks

I'm guessing they stay left as that's were most of the structure is to hide in

plus there seems more Mbuna (rock dwelling) fish

About 26 Mbuna and 6 Peacocks

is the right side a heavy traffic area in the house

Yes the left end we walk past to go to the kitchen.

The dominant Hongi does go to the other end to clear put a hole under a rock.

The issue for me is that I've seen Mbuna tanks and there is a lot more movement all over the tank.

I only added the power head (its designed for a 100L tank) because I was getting build up crude on the bottom which adding the head has seemed to fix. They did this before adding the power head

If I had the cash I would look at those new gyre pumps.

Thanks

I would put it down to more structure at this end of the tank. I suggest that you try moving the Anubia on the rock down to the other end and see if that makes a difference. Feed them at the other end of the tank so they know that people walking past the tank is not a bad thing and their confidence will grow.

I've been thinking I would like a Anubia plant in the tank but had not worked out where I wanted it. So maybe I'll get one and remove the largest rock on the rigt side of the tank and place a new Anubia there.

I'll also try to break the large rock and see if I can create something with it in the same area.

• 2 months later...

So I updated my tank adding one extra plant and some more hiding places near that end of the tank and there spending more time at that end.
What been very cool is that my Protomelas Taeniolatus (Red Empress) and Pseudotropheus Demasoni have breed and the females held long enough for them to survive
What was funny was that only 5 of the Demasoni fry ended up in the tank all the rest about 12 went over the weir and down into the sump. It was a lot of work to get them out, had to make up a suction box.

I'll try to get photos and video soon.

No not at about 4 to 8 mm long. :)

Issue now is what to do with them. I have 12 in a 20L tank and there growing a very good clip.

I see that a Demasoni and at least one Labidochromis Caeruleus are holding so the same problem is coming.

id buy some demasoni as I have a lonely one also need some red so guessing the red empress id be interested in also and don't think I have any caeruleus are they the rustys? also got some small guys hiding among the rocks not sure what they are yet and one of my 3 yellow electrics has been holding I think nearly 2weeks. And my lwanda has taken a liking to my yellow jakes gfs so not sure if that's a good thing or not.

L. caeruleus are Electric Yellows, I also have what maybe 2 Hongi but I'm not sure.

The Red Empress male is very nice, but I have no idea if I have any males ;)

pot luck that's fair enough I have a few that are grow out fish so fun to see them grow regardless boys or girls. hongis I have enough of 1large male and 7not far behind him in size so looking to down size on hongis myself.

• 3 weeks later...
So I just got some fish delivered from Doug (DFishkeeper) in Queensland.
There some really nice fish :notworthy:
Maingano 1 M, 5 F

Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos "Maingano" from DFishkeeper (Doug)

Protomelas steveni "Taiwan Reef” 1 M, 5 F

Protomelas steveni "Taiwan Reef” Male from DFishkeeper (Doug)

Thanks Doug

Archived