Green Element or Aqualina LED lights

Cichlid Pete

I don't know much about lights and I don't keep plants or corals but I recently picked up an Aqualina LED to replace my ancient T8+reflector when the bulb died—the main reason being to reduce the amount of heat produced in summer. I chose the Aqualina Slimline 36", which has a power consumption of 7.5w and puts out as much light if not more than my previous setup. This works well for my fish-only setup and I am pleased with the results but note that it produces a lot more algae growth on the glass than the T8 it replaces so I am now having to scrape the glass more often even after a reduction in hours that the lights are on.

For comparison, the 36" Green Element on Age of Aquariums consumes 72w so it is going to be putting out a lot more light. It is probably geared for coral and/or plant growth and I think I would be scraping daily if I had opted for that one. :D

If you were planning to buy from AoA you may want to call in and get their opinion on which light would be better for your situation.

Archived