FX6 or 2260

Cichlid Pete

Hi Guys,

I was thinking of changing my FX6 to a 2260 and keeping the FX6 as spare or using on another tank.

There are no real issues with FX6 at the moment, just thought the 2260 would be better due to the higher media capacity.

My tank is 6x2x2.5 and there is 32 malawi cichlids in it, most of which are 5-6cm.

I only run 1filter, airstones and do water changes no further than 2 weeks apart.

Do you think there will be any benefit in doing this?

Thanks

Peter

2260's are a pretty epic filter. Large capacity, very reliable and can take extended times between cleaning if your a bit lazy like me.

Problem is they are very expensive and dont come with media of any sort so you could be looking up to 1k by the time you fill it (depending of course) My choice of canister for large aquariums normally.

I have never had a fluval but it looks like a very good filter. Personally I wouldn't bother with the eheim.

If you do a water change every 2-4 weeks and dont over feed your fish then I cant see you having any issues. Really if you wanted more filtration then another fx6 would make more sense as you save on media costs and essentially have 2 very good filters. But I wouldn't really bother unless you start seeing water quality issues

Agree with Chuck.

Knowing the sciences of fish keeping will benefit much more.

Only if there's outstanding issues with your filter, it warrants a change.

Eventually a fish keeper hits a knowledge sweet spot,,, it's hard to go wrong after that.

Thanks Guys.

I don't really want to add a second filter, as I have shot myself in the foot when I had the tank made and only have 1 inlet and outlet in the base of the tank and like the clean look.

I was just thinking when the fish get bigger the Eheim might be better.

I currently feed once a day, mixing between New Era Red and Green and frozen food every 3rd or 4th day.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Hi PlecoSam,

Hopefully I never have deal with a filter failing and if it does that I can get onto it quick smart. I have air stones in the tank and will have another tank setup in a few months with either the 2260 or FX6 on it which I could swap over. I had a community tank for nearly 20 years with a Saechem 1500 that never let me down, fingers crossed I have the same luck.

I have an FX6 on my 500l and I absolutely love it. It is quiet, and does a great job. The only gripe I have is that it does miss some small particles due to the sponge set up, but Im sure there is a way to sort that out. I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one for my next tank.

Is that a 6x18 or similar Flam? For long tanks sometimes you need a powerhead to push things around a little. Personally I like hang on filters for polishing though some people dont like the sound of water.

Also canisters of any type are fantastic for swapping media around to suit your own need. I normally jam mine so much that I can barely reconnect the pump head to the cannister :p

i have fine sand in my tank that gets sucked up into the fx5 bucket causing micro bubbles in my tank. my next filter will be eheim.

Chuck, it is a 6x18. Unfortunately I can't put a hang on filter due to the hood I have. I did put some poly-filter in the filter and that did work but at 50 dollars a pop it's expensive considering it only lasts about 2 months. I'll probably buy another smaller canister and fill it full of wool or something to polish it

What is poly-filter like, is it worth the money? I have thought about buying it but I think it is cheaper to cut out one of my kidneys as they would do a great job and be cheaper!

Pete - I have 43 cichlids ranging from 3cm to 9cm in a 6 x 18 x 24 tank and the FX6 handles it perfectly. My water parameters are great and the water clear. I wouldn't worry about getting a 2260 as the FX6 will handle the load you have no worries.

Archived