Best place to buy tanks?

5uka

Hi guys.

Looking at buying a tank approximately 8ft or so. What are the ideal dimensions for a Lake Malawi tank. I'm thinking around 8x3x3 or something like that?

Also is it better to get it made or just buy ready?

Finally are there any special considerations I could be neglecting eg filtration?

personally i would put a sump on a system that big.i would use abyss aquarium at smeaton grange to build your tank or steve from penrith who advertises on petlink i think its wings and fins.pretty sure hes on here too.there are plenty of gd tanks that size fs going around but its up to you as too what your after as we all have different ideas

You would probably need to have it made. A tank that size wouldn't be able to be moved to easily and wouldn't fit through a standard internal door way.

Don't really have a budget in mind. Rather go with quality first and worry bout budget after. What price u think ill be looking at? For tank? Sump?

Thx for feedback guys:)

• 3 weeks later...

i think your jumping the gun, i have a 8 x 2 x 2 for my big display tank and its huge, a 3 x 3 would make it an absolute pain in the buM to clean and take up soooo much space.

I highly recomend going to an aquarium and sussing out something like your average 6 x 2 x 2 to get a feel on the dimensions, cause that extra foot tall and deep will make a world if difference for maintenance.

measure the length from your armpit to your finger tips then try to reach to 4 foot the diagonal of a 3x3. Mind you you will be on a ladder to do it in the real thing.30 inch high by 24 wide is impracticable from experience.

I'm not advocating 3 foot deep (if you are considering maintenance) but I'm always impressed by tanks that are this deep. There is a difference imo between 2.5 and 3 in that 3 foot deep really starts to look like a wall of tank. I've seen some large 10 foot tanks but for impression I'd say an 8x3x3 would be pretty impressive. Personal choice I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the best size large tank for me would be a 10 x 30 x 32 (high). You will have a sufficiently deep thank at 810 mm which is very close to 3ft, but you will have a little extra length for fish to swim in. Even though this size can could be done in 12 mm with extra bracing, I would still have it done in 15 mm all round to be able to sleep at night.

8 x 3 x 3 you will have to get done in 15 mm all round as well at a bare minimum. My personal opinion i wouldn't go above 32 inches or 810 mm in 15 mm for large tanks like we are discussing, just a personal preference, even though tank makers will go to 3ft in 15 mm.

remember one thing that the door u have to get it in is only 2ft.8inch

well that's on my house any way so check your doors

it will not be a good thing to get it and then fine out

o sh-- its not going to fit in the door

Archived