German import Aulonocara

Rolla

Hi guys,

Just wanted so see who had brought in some new aulonocara blood, with the 3 or so imports that have been happening over the last few months.

What species did you get and if you have any pics post them up :)

Cheers

Dave

This is what has come in:

Tank

Aulonocara aquilonium Mdoka - Perth and Sydney

Aulonocara ethelwynnae - Sydney - these were very nice

Aulonocara rostratum - Perth

Aulonocara spec. Eureka - Sydney - these were very nice

Aulonocara spec. Fire Fish - Sydney

Aulonocara stuartgranti Galileya Reef - Sydney - these were very nice

Wild

Aulonocara baenschi Benga - Sydney and Brisbane

Aulonocara spec. Mamelela - Sydney and Brisbane

Cheers

Grant

This is what has come in:

Tank

Aulonocara aquilonium Mdoka - Perth and Sydney

Aulonocara ethelwynnae - Sydney - these were very nice

Aulonocara rostratum - Perth

Aulonocara spec. Eureka - Sydney - these were very nice

Aulonocara spec. Fire Fish - Sydney

Aulonocara stuartgranti Galileya Reef - Sydney - these were very nice

Wild

Aulonocara baenschi Benga - Sydney and Brisbane

Aulonocara spec. Mamelela - Sydney and Brisbane

Cheers

Grant

Thanks Grant for the update and it is great to see some good peacocks coming in.

I hope the people with them will let all on the forum know when they have bred and will upload photos of them also.

Cheers Johns

I bought some wild caught peacocks years ago from One of Nigels shipments. the fish were very nice. I looked from some fry from the fish in that shipment and no-one on here was still keeping any. I hope these fish hang around for a while.

Josh

Anyone know if there are any good quality Jacobfreibergei getting around ?

Regards,

JayT

I bought some wild caught peacocks years ago from One of Nigels shipments.

Josh were they the hueseri? I did get some fry off you from an auction at one stage but lost them as I was too new to cichlids. I might have done something stupid with them like putting them in with something that destroyed them or something.

I have ordered Aulonocara Stuartgranti "Galileya Reef" from Grant this shipment that should be cleared in a week or so all going well :thumbup: So I guess technically some will be in Canberra :).

cheers

rosco

I used to have a trio of hueseri from Nigel a few years back- they dropped off one by one for no apparent reason? I did manage to get some fry from them though. Dont know why they arnt more popular, one of my faves :B

I used to have a trio of hueseri from Nigel a few years back- they dropped off one by one for no apparent reason? I did manage to get some fry from them though. Dont know why they arnt more popular, one of my faves :B

I had them breeding like flies - could barely give the fry away at the time :dntknw:

Ended up using them as targets/dithers for other species. They continued to breed but not as profusely.

I can't remember but I think my adults went to Andy in Melbourne? Or that might have been the Copadichromis... Ahhh memories.

No John I had them and then sold them to.......

I too couldnt give away the fry. I was using them as host for my Cuckoo's until I sold them on.

I too couldnt give away the fry. I was using them as host for my Cuckoo's until I sold them on.

I recall you saying that Josh. I think I paid next to nothing for them at auction then they disappeared.

I guess I have been around long enough to have noticed the real boom and bust trend with fish keeping\breeding. When there are heaps around nobody wants them and when they have all but disappeared everyone wants them. I remember buying Afra's early on and then for about a year they couldn't be sold at auction. By the time mine started breeding in larger numbers they were popular again an i still have them because they are nice fish.

I guess it all comes down to breeding, breed what you like not what the market likes today. That is common piece of advice I like to give out.

there is a wild caught colony of A. steveni 'blue neon' over here in WA that came in recently

Are there any pictures around?

cheers

Rosco

I guess it was the Copadichromis that Andy took :thumb I knew they went to someone I knew would hold on to them a while regardless of 'market value' though.

Rosco, that is sound advice. It is the best advice anyone in this hobby can be given IMO.

Archived