What Cichlid is that?

pseudotrop

Hi,

I've recently (~4months ago) purchased some cichlids and placed them in a 3ft tank, now I have no idea what three of them are! I assumed they were all African as the pet shop seemed to have Africans in one set of tanks.

IPB Image

Theres two fish in this photo, the girl at the pet shop called the yellow one a tangerine, is it? And I have no idea what the other one is (supposed to be the same as the yellow one).

IPB Image

Thanks

First one is a Pseudotropheus sp. "zebra long pelvic" assuming stressed colouration, the yellow one appears to be a Metriaclima zebra sp. I'm pretty confident it is a male Metriaclima zebra gold charo. The other one is a species of tropheops (Not TROPHEUS). It sure does look like a Tropheops "Red Cheek".

Please keep in mind that if you want a more accurate ID we need side on profile pictures so we can look at things such as face structure which are more often then not the determining factor when IDing cichlids.

Your doing pretty well if you can pick up any of these at the one LFS, let alone if you don't pay half a leg for them. Do you remember how much you paid? I mean, sure most of them have came down in price but they are still not with electric yellows, blues, maingano etc.

Hi Pseudotrop,

I would say you have three nice pets there. Good for a display tank but definitely not for breeding (unless you can identify them 100%).

Almost 100% from Lake Malawi. The top fish is probably some type of Pseudotropheus, and by colour and markings could possibly be a 'Zebra Long Pelvic'.

The bottom two ?????????? but I would be pretty darn sure they aren't the same species.

Cheers,

Lee.

PS: I love the rock in the bottom shot - nice algae!

Mr McLoughlin posted whilst I was typing - honest!

I'm not copy catting :lol4:

Thanks guys :) , I'll try and get a side on shot, it's a bit difficult as I have to sit in front of the tank for about 5-10 minutes before they'll come out, and when they do they sit and look back at me :), and if I move too much, well back they go.

From memory I paid between $9-15 for them. I paid almost double for some Demasoni.

I like the algae on the rock too, complete accident as in I didn't try to do it, just kinda happened and the bristles I assume keep it from getting out of control.

Thanks guys :) , I'll try and get a side on shot, it's a bit difficult as I have to sit in front of the tank for about 5-10 minutes before they'll come out, and when they do they sit and look back at me :), and if I move too much, well back they go.

From memory I paid between $9-15 for them. I paid almost double for some Demasoni.

I like the algae on the rock too, complete accident as in I didn't try to do it, just kinda happened and the bristles I assume keep it from getting out of control.

Ok so I came home for lunch and these are the best side on shots I could get, damn things move just as I get my camera in focus!

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'll let you off this time mate :lol3:

I stand by my IDs in my previous post with the new pictures posted. I do agree with Lee, with the exception of th zebra long pelvic, these are display fish only.

I'm with Lee......i looked at the fish and thought, "yeah, nice fish he's got there", but then I thought..."i really like that algae covered rock!!" CRAZY???????

BTW....you seem to have picked up three nice display fish for a very reasonable price. Good one.

I'm with Lee......i looked at the fish and thought, "yeah, nice fish he's got there", but then I thought..."i really like that algae covered rock!!" CRAZY???????

BTW....you seem to have picked up three nice display fish for a very reasonable price. Good one.

Thanks again everyone who posted.

Well, if I can't breed fish I can always farm algae on rocks :)

What's meant by display only, not for breeding? (It is a display tank, I'm just curious)

G'day Pseudotrop,

Most of us start keeping fish in a display tank - in other words we like fish and enjoy keeping them.

BUT, most african fish will breed (male + female + water = babies). So, most tanks that are set up with the purpose of being something nice to look at in a lounge room end up being hot beds of lust and unprotected sex, with lots of fry being the result.

With most 'display' tanks, fish are purchased for their visual appeal and usually very little thought is given to possible breeding between fish of different species.

Cross breeding is frowned upon bigtime in the aquarium hobby, partly because there are so many beautiful and unique species out there that we don't need 'designer' fish.

But many of us find the whole process of breeding fish and raising fry, then selling them back to your local fish shop (LFS), very rewarding (more a sense of achievement than monetary gain). That's why lots of us start with one tank but can end up with 40+ tanks in special fish rooms.

It's highly likely that the 'african' fish you have in your aquarium were bred in Australia by a hobbyist who probably started with one 'display' tank like yours :B

Does that help?

Cheers,

G'day Pseudotrop,

Most of us start keeping fish in a display tank - in other words we like fish and enjoy keeping them.

BUT, most african fish will breed (male + female + water = babies). So, most tanks that are set up with the purpose of being something nice to look at in a lounge room end up being hot beds of lust and unprotected sex, with lots of fry being the result.

With most 'display' tanks, fish are purchased for their visual appeal and usually very little thought is given to possible breeding between fish of different species.

Cross breeding is frowned upon bigtime in the aquarium hobby, partly because there are so many beautiful and unique species out there that we don't need 'designer' fish.

But many of us find the whole process of breeding fish and raising fry, then selling them back to your local fish shop (LFS), very rewarding (more a sense of achievement than monetary gain). That's why lots of us start with one tank but can end up with 40+ tanks in special fish rooms.

It's highly likely that the 'african' fish you have in your aquarium were bred in Australia by a hobbiest who probably started with one 'display' tank like yours :B

Does that help?

Cheers,

Thanks Lee, makes sense now. I thought there was something wrong with the fish. I wasn't planning on breeding fish....yet (need more room).

I've just bought 6' tank.

One fish shop I've bought fish online from was selling those 'zebra long pelvic' for about 10x what I paid for them :D.

G'day Pseudotrop,

It's highly likely that the 'african' fish you have in your aquarium were bred in Australia by a hobbiest who probably started with one 'display' tank like yours :B

Does that help?

Cheers,

Thanks Lee, makes sense now. I thought there was something wrong with the fish. I wasn't planning on breeding fish....yet (need more room).

I've just bought 6' tank.

One fish shop I've bought fish online from was selling those 'zebra long pelvic' for about 10x what I paid for them :D.

Top pic definitely not long pelvic maybe its father or mother was one though!

Thats definitely a bummer. I was sure it was pure but you have alot more experiance with them then I have had.

Guess all three are now display only!

a better photo would help, you have me second guessing myself! - The markings on its head are very long pelvic like.

Thats definitely a bummer. I was sure it was pure but you have alot more experiance with them then I have had.

Guess all three are now display only!

a better photo would help, you have me second guessing myself! - The markings on its head are very long pelvic like.

Do these two photos help any? One's a touch blurry but seems to be the best I can get with my curret camera.

IPB Image

IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

The fish in question looks to be a female Pseudotropheus elongtus sp, perhaps 'chalosi' or maybe gold bar likoma or even 'chewere' , it's just too hard to tell but for my money definitely a elongatus species. I agree with Ben and others on the daktari and tropheops red check for the other two species.

Hope this helps

@nthony

Reef Aquariums

Archived