Green and Gold Severums

hoges

Okay so I've noticed that my male green sev has taken a liking to my female gold - who happens to already have a male friend (also gold).

I never really saw this as a problem in the past as the golds are half the size of Mr Green.

But now I'm concerned. Is it okay if they decide to breed??? or should I seperate them immediately??

Well i dont know if i was lucky or not but i had 2 breeding pairs of sevs(unfortunately had to sell due to moving house) and i still cry everyday about that nah jokes. I also had a breeding pair of blue acaras and 2 silver dollars. There was absolutely no aggression just a smallish chase when another fish entered the others territory but apart from that nothing. BTW this tank was a 5 footer as well. So you might be lucky depeniding on whatelse is in the tank. HTH Benno biggrin.gif

hmmm thanks, but agression wasn't what I was referring to, I was more asking if it was okay for greens to breed with golds, instead of just gold with gold!!! I'm guessing it shouldn't be a problem, but I just wanted to check.

Crossing greens and gold s is fine it actually gives you a much better quality of gold severum. Plus its not breeding hybrids either because a gold severum is exactly the same as a green just a different type of colour they r still the same species so i say go for it. Benno

correct me if im wrong but wasnt the gold severum created by two greens therefore making them both the same species. Im not bein a smart a$$ ive just always wondered about this topic.

That's what I was worried about - creating a hybrid species.

I contacted my local LFS and they told me that they honestly didn't know.

Then I looked back thru the classifieds on this site and found this link FS: severum - breeding pair (SOLD), gold female, green male

Then burundi is telling me that I will be creating a hybrid, tho then I wonder why this sale (above) was allowed to be made on this forum if it was going to create hybrid species.

Anyways if anyone knows any more info that would be great.

Cheers

Laura

No problem if they breed. The fry will be a mix of greens and golds (very Oz) biggrin.gif

The gold fry will have better genetics than if they were from gold parents only.

I don't see this as creating a hybrid as they are only colour morphs of the same species, kind of like crossing a normal convict with an albino convict.

Daryl looks to be stirring the pot a little. it is very common practice to put gold and green severums together, as like Skippy said it results in better gold fry.

so simply put no need to worry, let em breed and enjoy it.

I was under the impression that they are infact the same fish, but one has been line bred to change the colour. Or somthing like that anyway.........

Hi Everyone,

Not wanting to muddy the waters too much but I believe that there is no guarantee that the gold "severums" that we have are actually colour morphs of the green. The problem is there could be a couple of greens.

So if there are several greens do we then have gold morphs for each these greeens?

Can anyone actually say how many different types have come into the country over the many years that they have been here.

I know that there have been fish with quite different facial markings, there are a few different species involved "appendiculatus", "efasciatus" and "severus", who knows possibly more, some believe that the true severus is a mouth brooder, in which case we do not have the true "severus" in Australia.

It is believed that the "severum" with the heavy facial markings is either "appendiculatus" or "efasciatus" I don't think the icthyologists are even sure how many different species are in the wild.

Having said what i have above, it has been common practice over the years to cross the golds back to the greens with the intention of strengthening both strains.

The other thing is that if my memory serves me right the severum that I knew when I first started out with cichlids 30 years ago bears little resemblence to todays severums

If anyone realy knows what has been going on over the years let us know.

Anyhow just my thoughts each to his own.

Regards

John.

They're gonna get naughty unless you separate them. biggrin.gif Just like a Blue Light Disco at Avalon... wink.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Green to Gold cross is a common practice among breeders I know here.

If your green is homzygus (pure green) all the fry will be green hetryzygus (split for gold).

If your gree is hetro (already split for gold, and you cant tell till he breeds with a gold) the fry will be 50% Gold and 50% Green(split for gold)

An other point, if you have a pair of greens there is every chance that they are already split for gold and 25% of the fry will be gold any way.

Alan

Gregor Mendel - eat your heart out. wink.gif You only had some plants to play with - we've got fish!

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived