how many litres and gallons in a 6x2x2 tank

malawi4me

well, it's 24 cubic feet (volume calc LxWxD)

That comes in the calc util I have out to 179 gallons (US) or 677 litres

Man u guys were quik!!! ohmy.gif

Well i think its 180cm x 60cm x 60cm (6ft x 2 ft x 2ft)

So it works out to be 585 litres or 130 gallons or close to it anyway.

Thankyou very much, now i can work out how to get rid of the white spot the local fish shop gave me for free!!!

My next tank will be a 6x2x2, now I know for certain that I will have to reinforce the floor boards mad.gif especially since that doesn't include the weight of the tank, hood stand etc etc blink.gif As long as the fish are happy tongue.gif

It actually works out close to 677 litres. I have no idea where you blokes bought your calculators laugh.gif

That's total volume, but assuming you fill the tank 3cm shy of the top. it works out about 643 litres. Then remove another 40 - 50 litres for substrate & a few small rocks, then more (15 litres or so) if you have a wier, and you are looking at between 550 and 600 litres of actual water.

6 feet is just shy of 183cm and 2 feet is just shy of 61cm. (1 inch = 2.54 cm)

• 5 weeks later...

Metric,

in cm - l by b by h divided by 1000 = L

Imperial

in inches l by b by h divided by 231 = G

Measure from the inside of the glass sides for more accuracy, and don't forget to estimate how much to water is displaced by gravel and rocks and so on. Also in regards to height, take it from where the tank will be filled to, not the top edge of the glass.

Craig

Why dont you all just measure in cm's and litres? It is oh so much easier and it is the system the whole world (bar 1 country) uses. Stop living in the past and start getting new tanks made in cm's and litres. You will find it so much easier to live with in the long run.

The rational I have always assumed imperial measurements are still used for our tanks is due to the fact fluorescent tubes are still imperial in their sizing. Least wise, this is the only reason I assume it to be so.

Craig

Guys & Gals -

The unit calculators on the SCP will convert tank lengths in inches or cms to a volume in litres. The same page will convert that to gallons if you so desire.

The javascripts used will assume you fill the tank right to the top! Which obviously never occurs wink.gif.

It is quick and easy to use them:

here's the URL for those too lazy to find them via the front door biggrin.gif!

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/convert.html

Cheers -

6.25 imperial gallons per cubic foot, then decide if you want Imp or US gallons. 3.8 or 4.55 ltr/gall as an approx.

Try the litres as it is a little more accurate as you can measure inside the glass.

T smile.gif he easy way to eatablish displacement by gravel, rocks etc is to measure thedepthof water prior to adding those items. Never stopped to do it myself, always too rager to get the tank going. 5 litres of gravel will not displace 5 litres. Most capacity calculations end up as an educated guess. Medication, salt etc also has a tolerance so an educated guess is adequate.

My 6x2x2 holds 588l filled to the bars, (measured!) and about 540 with the sand and rocks added..

roughly i figure every centimeter of depth is about 10liters of water.

CTThompson,

lighting tube sizes would appear to be in feet, however upon closer inspection of many light tube sizes they are actually in cm's, although they are unusual amounts, ie 59.8cm's or something from memory for a so-called 'two footer'. Even many of the bulb fittings these days are in cm's, ie Aqualina fittings. Either way, it doesnt really matter, as a good tank size to go with a 60cm light tube is actually 70cm or 80cm long tank. It is more efficient to have light tube/s that are a little shorter than the overall tank length. So tank sizes in feet and inches are pretty useles as far as light tubes go. Just food for thought.

Archived