Pest Exterminator options

foai

My neighbours moved out of the house next door about 3 or 4 months ago. Since then their cockroaches have unhelpfully migrated to our house. They are the horrible little German variant.

Before the invasion becomes a full blown infestation I would like to get a pest exterminator in.

I have 2 4 foot tanks near the kitchen. Is anybody aware of a pest exterminator who can kill the roaches without killing my fish? Could I just cover the tanks with a few layers of heavy plastic while the exterminator does his thing?

If I have to move the fish out I am more likely to just sell the lot and shut my tanks down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Foai

The last time I got my place done, the guy used a tube that he went around and put this paste in concealed places.. Apparently the cockraoches (Yes german) eat it and they go die somewhere. The adults take it back as food to their nest and the in turn knocks off any babies in there..

Hi Foai

I had a massive invasion of the same "German" cockroaches in my fishroom and I had them wiped out about 2 years ago now, safely with no effects on my fish.

To date, since having it done, I have never seen a single one return.

The company I used was : Clear-away Pest Control. Tel : 9559 5924 Mobile : 0414 606 078.

The guys name is Tony Azzam.

He knows me well - just tell him about your concerns with the fish, he knows all about our concerns.

He has done several of my friends places now (and some LFS'S).

He uses a product called "Avert Cockroach Gel" - no spray, no mess. He puts little dots of this Gel all around the place from a small silicone gun-like tube, and Wham......... no more cockies.

He did my place initially and because the infeststion was so bad he made a second visit about 6 weeks later -just to check up and apply a little bit more in places.

It is guaranteed not to harm your fish.

I couldn't recommend this guy highly enough.

Hope that is of some help.

WAZ.

Good advice WAZ glad to hear there is an alternative to chemical bombs and or spraying.

I have used traps / baits with some success in the past and having recently bought a cat for my daughter have noticed he seems to be a very skillful cockroach killer as I often hear him playing with them at night only to find a dead roach or two in the morning.

The method that Waz has suggested I think is the best that there is available. Just make sure your tank lids are closed in case a dieing cockroach falls in (small odds I know).

I got Tony Azzam in. He was extremely helpful and did a top job. He said all cockies should be gone in 3-4 weeks but already most have disappered.

He said he had done quite a few places with fish and never had a problem.

Thanks for the tip waz.

• 7 months later...

To anyone interested .. I am looking at getting some of this gel direct from agserv, however, I have to buy a box of it, 4 x 30gram doses. From what they have told me, 1 x 30g dose is enough to do 100sqm, so a pretty big house.

Is anyone interested in buying the other 2 or 3? the cost is $18.15 inc GST and $22 inc gst for the applicator + postage if I need to send it to you. To give you an idea, if you get a pest controller to do it, you are looking at around $200+ for him to place the gel around the house.

See this link for information on the product:

http://pct.au.com/professional/pdf.aspx?id=2

reply via PM if interested.

***EDIT*** All the surplus I had is now spoken for, thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what they charge for the gel or is it the same price as normal sprays ?.

Ive got the same problem as most of u guys cause they have migrated from next door into my house and its really starting to bug me badly :angry:

Hi,

This is about the 3rd different question, but hopefully someone can help. Is the Avert Gel just for cockies, or does it do spiders and all the other creepy crawlies?

hi Shane

i assume it's just for cockies, it's labelled as "cockroach gel"

consumer information freecall 1 800 700 906 or try the link in Lonx thread

Hi,

This is about the 3rd different question, but hopefully someone can help. Is the Avert Gel just for cockies, or does it do spiders and all the other creepy crawlies?

hi Shane

i assume it's just for cockies, it's labelled as "cockroach gel"

consumer information freecall 1 800 700 906 or try the link in Lonx thread

Sounds about right then. I might start up another thread because our new house has a major spider problem.

Thanks for your help.

shane

Shane and Criag,

I get my house sprayed every year and they use pythreme (sp??) and they normally sray around the edges of the doors window frames etc. I have kept fish in the house for 5 years without a problem and we don't have silverfish cockroaches ants or spiders (anymore). If you are concerned about the fish I have alwys cover the tanks with sheets and towles depending on the size of tank with no problem at all. In saying that new guy we got this year said that he should not spray my fish due to the shear volume of tnaks in one space so I would think twice about that.

HTH

cheers

rosco

Shane and Criag,

I get my house sprayed every year and they use pythreme (sp??) and they normally sray around the edges of the doors window frames etc. I have kept fish in the house for 5 years without a problem and we don't have silverfish cockroaches ants or spiders (anymore). If you are concerned about the fish I have alwys cover the tanks with sheets and towles depending on the size of tank with no problem at all. In saying that new guy we got this year said that he should not spray my fish due to the shear volume of tnaks in one space so I would think twice about that.

HTH

cheers

rosco

Thanks Rosco, handy to know. I will make sure my fish are absolutely going to be okay before I do anything. In the garage (where the bulk of the spiders are), I have 2 x 4ft tanks, a 5x2x2 and 6x1.5x2, so I guess it is a bit crowded...

cheers

shane

I would NEVER spray the whole outside of my house. I know a lot of people do this but I have always been against it. I have no issues with spiders nor ants should they be outside the house - it's their planet too :yes: .

Inside the house it is not difficult to get rid of both of these by mechanical means or just solid type poisons available from shops. I don't think there is harm in a spider or two anyway (they'll eat the roaches). But there is too much risk with using any sort of spray I think, even pyrethrum, to take the risk inside the house.

Outside the house, wiping out everything is just a constant money sink as you will have no ecobalance and will commit to wasting your money each year having to do it again :cryblow: because all the good bugs that eat the bad bugs have been killed as well. I think you were just talking about inside your house anyway

If you don't' want spiders in your eves (for example), just spray around them yourself with surface spray, at least this will limit the kill zone and won't nuke the entire backyard. .

We with fish tanks know the benefit of an ecological balance, why is outside the tank any different? :dntknw: We may not want the creepy crawlies inside the house, but outside it's live and let live I think :thumb .

I have issues with silver fish inside the house and with them inside the garage (though they can't really do any damage there). Inside the house there is the potential for them to eat clothing or books, which I don't want. You can buy cockroach bates for the house, but there are no "silver fish baits" that operate along the same lines, and even this gel that is being discussed in this thread is only for cockroaches. I know you can purchase naphthalene but wanted something that doesn't impact on me too or make my cloths stink.

Craig

Archived