Glass thickness for large tank

Astochristo

Not clear on exactly what you want. If you want to have an open top tank eurobraced with no bridges you would need 15mm all around minimum, You would also be wise to get 100mm straps all round the base for extra support.

If your going for a standard tank with braces and bridges then 15mm base with 12mm sides may hold up. Personally with that size I would still go 15mm all round.

If I were going to have a play at this I'd make the tank out of 12mm all round. then I'd cut strips of 12mm, say 20mm and baton every join on the inside.

Gotta say I'm the nervious type though and I'd baton the whole tank vertically every 30-45cm too lol

Most tank makers will recommend a 15mm base as your tank is very wide (900mm). I guess this is for stability and extra strength around the bottom edges. 15mm glass price is a big jump from 12mm (about double per square metre) , So having the tank made from 15mm all round will be expensive, So 12mm sides would be sufficient with good tank maker.

Ahh my bad, I didn't notice it was 3 foot deep and not wide. For 3 foot deep I'd also go 15mm all round. In fact if it was 3 deep and still go 15mm even with bracing.

I'm curious, why would you ever want a large tank made that had no cross bracing?

edit - In fact I would not recommend a tank this size to not be fully braced. Every tank that I can see on google are all shallow reef tanks or sumps. Seems a big gamble for such a deep tank.

Ok, the confusion is all my fault!sorry. 1st I only notice today that my dimensions were not clear. It said 900wide... I edited it to high this morning.

2nd the idea was to have bridge bracing but also add euro bracing for additional strength.

Sorry about the confusion!

10 years ago I built my own display tank for the living room.

It's 1950mm long x 1300mm wide x 1000mm deep.

I used 15mm base and 12mm for the sides.

I have three center braces on top at 120mm x 12mm.

The top perimeter edge brace is 80mm x 12mm

Then all glued butt joints are doubled up with 50mm x 12mm straps all round sides and bottom.

Looking along the mid and top edges, there is no visible bowing.

Tank is still going strong.

Part reason for the thickness formula in building tanks is surface area of thickness for glue contact.

Glueing straps in doubles the glue surface area for double strength joint hold.

really I'm a little confused as to the meaning of euro style bracing.

here are a couple of pics of my 8*3

DSC00250_zpsw08ddabv.jpg

DSC00256_zpsvhirmt4l.jpg

It has that 'Euro' style bracing also with the cross bracing but personally I think this is the minimum a good tank should have in the first place.

12mm may be alright under a well built tank but if I were going to recommend glass thickness for someone I'd be saying 15mm to be sure that you dont have to wake up every day wondering if the tank has burst or not.

Glass by its very nature comes in different quality. Every batch of glass is different. You are better off spending a little more on a quailty build that guessing imo. There are tricks with cross bracing for thinner type glass but unless your sure you want to risk it then play safe imo.

To right its over double.

My father is a special projects supervisor for BGC commercial windows.

He said that 12mm is a very commonly used thickness and the vast amounts used is reason for it being cheaper (bulk pricing).

The needed glass sizes cannot just be ordered and paid for.

The glass comes in standard size sheets,,, so usually you will have to pay for the full sheet/sheets,,, so basically your paying for a bit of unwanted glass.

When I engineered and fabricated a cutting list,,, out of all the scraps I managed to economically get all my straps and joint bracing done out of the scraps.

It's a handy way to make most of the 12mm and improve by by double edging the glued corners for twice the glued surface area (24mm),,,,,,, theoretically the joint becomes a little less than twice as much stronger than straight 15mm glued corners.

The double edging also gives it a heavy duty well built look.

Crap,,,, sorry I only read to the end of the first page.

Archived