testing test kits

Adzzy

Just thought i would share some findings with and remind everyone to challange their test kits once and a while

I have been having very high nitrate readings over the past 6 or so months resulting in lots of water changes to keep on top of it and as i was using a Sera kit about 9 months old with an expiry of 2017 i assumed that it would be correct oh how i was wrong. On my visit today to my local i asked them to take a reading using their JBL kit which gave a much lower reading, so i purchased a new cheap kit to be sure.

i got home and tested it again and was getting the same reading as the shop. So if you are getting abnormal readings or reading that are off the charts double check your test kits before you panic, i just wish i had done this sooner it would have saving me a lot of time and water.

Very good point. The test chemicals may deteriorate over time due to age, incorrect storage or chemical contamination. I occasional use an alternate test kit to check that reliability of my main test kit.

Archived