bad choice?

Adzzy

Hi All

I am installing a 3D BG in an established 6 foot tank and as i can not silicon it in place i will be placing it in the tank as good as i can proped with other rocks and clips i have made. Anyway i have filled the gaps down each egde that will not sit flush against the glass with roof and gutter silicone to stop fish getting behind.

wondering if anyone see's any issues using the Selleys roof and gutter silicone rather than the glass silicone? i have only used about a 5th of the tube and will let it cure for 4 days before placing in the tank.

They would normally indicate on the package whether the product is aquarium safe or not.

The Selley's website lists the Glass Silicone for aquarium purposes, but doesn't explicitly say not to use Roof & Gutter on aquariums. Both products are 100% silicon, the difference appears to be the cure method used, so if you let it cure I can't see it being a problem.

I would let it cure for at least a week before putting into the water though.

EDIT: The only thing I noticed with the Roof & Gutter is the line which states Not recommended for use as a plug for burst pipes or below waterline applications.

I'd also note that I would choose the Glass Silicone product myself as the manufacturer actually lists it for aquarium use.

I wouldn't use selley's gutter guard only use structure aquarium safe silicon. If it doesn't specifically say it on the tube don't use it. Try v2 range of silicon products most work For aquariums

if it is not intended for total submersion it will either soften and leach chemical into the tank or release its dye into the tank.

best to let it cure and cut it out and replace with aquarium safe product. if you

want colour over it try some sand or gravel presses into the wet silicone.

Archived