Rocks: Latex (001)

G'day All,

I'm just interested in these latex rubber type rock backgrounds. If you use one is it a goer? If so, where are they available and how much do they cost? The back wall of my tank is 5 x 2 foot.

Thanks again guys,

Jamie.

i made a background for my tank.

i used the big plastic for sale signs, cut em up, made all these caves and finally glued on some gravel to it using silicone.

HOWEVER, it looked pretty good and the fish liked it, but due to my inpatience sad.gif i only let it dry for three days (should be more like 3 weeks) and therefor as it had not completly dired (the silicon that is) it poisoned my tank and killed like 5 or 6 fish in 2 days. i figured this out and took it out asap and the other fish are fine.

i still have em, if u want photos ill take em and send them 2 you,

But i dont use it cos it freakes me out smile.gif

Oh and i think that they charge way toooo much for ornaments everywhere, but hey thats that

good luck tho

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sash- thanks for the offer of a photo but I'm not really interested in diy. These things seem way too expensive so I think I'll resort to a lick of paint.

Jamie.

I was put off by the overall cost of the backgroudns and was too impatient to do a DIY.

In the end I combined 2 large latex rocks "universal habitats" and a simple roll-type sheet which is stuck behind the tank. Normally the sheets look tacky, but this is a simple 3d looking grey rock background. Amazingly, it looks great because it is fairly dark and gives the impression of deep perspective in the tank. Also this combines with the latex rocks which alter the perspective again. I'll grab a shot and post it soon. In short, the combination works really well.

Guest Gutty

They collect alot of crap, take up alot of swimming space and cost waaaay too much.

I think there is a guy on here making them a bit cheaper than shops though, can't recall who but i think he makes em big and you can pick a section or somthing like that.

Maybe do a search for latex etc ?

Matt

i've looked at those rock background things as well. Although they look good they cost waaay to much!

What does everyone use as a background just out of interest? Do people paint their tanks or just leave them as is? I'm a bit tired of looking at the airline tubes and pipes going to my canister and would be interested to know what people do to make their display tanks look a bit more dramatic.

G'day Ads,

With this background thing I was looking for something more interesting too. I think I'll resort to paint though. What I do is paint the outside of the back of the tank with a nice royal blue colour. I used a brush but have since found out that a roller gives a more even layer of paint (my nephew used a roller with a good result). It is good to coat the glass with a preparation such as ESP (I think this is what it is called) before you apply the paint. This is a substance that when dry enables the paint to stick to the slippery glass surface.

Hope this helps,

Jamie.

What about 2nd hand latex background..? I picked one up from someone in this forum a while ago for $60. it was for 6X2 and my tank is 4X2, so I have to cut it.

Put a wtb sign in the classified, who knows your luck..?

Charlie

I've got one in one of my tanks and it made a big difference to how the tank looked. I found that smaller fish like hiding in the small cracks. If your going to use one make sure to silicon the thing in, and put some sand soil rocks on top of the silicon so it doesn't show...they are expensive but if you can afford one get one!!!

Hi Guys,

Once upon a time, in a land far far away....oops no that was Katoomba. laugh.gif

I tried a bought latex background on my very first Tropheus tank. The biggest drawback that they have is that, as Gutty has already mentioned, they are wonderful crap collectors, anything and everything gets caught behind them - even fish unsure.gif

If you want to proceed then ensure these backgrounds are attached with silicon, to an unfilled tank making sure that it is air tight. Wait the appropriate amount of time for drying, 2-3 weeks is good and then you may have better luck.

There have already been heaps of great suggestions already posted as alternatives.

Cheers

All i do with my tanks is buy sheets of black cardboard from the local newsagent, and sticky-tape them on the back !

Cheap as chips and it really shows off the interior of your tank.

See my pics Here to see how it looks.

Oh, and if you're wondering what happens when it gets wet... in short, nothing. None of mine have ever had the ink run or anything, and even if it did get a bit skungy looking from water dribbles, they're so cheap it doesn't really matter.

HTH,

Andy.

what i've done on my newest tank is black spraypaint...cost me less than $3...and managed to get 3 coats with one can!!! smile.gif

I feel bad now... sadsmiley02.gif when i did the backround i only waited overnight...then filled the tank up... its been up and running for almost a year with no probs...what silicon brand did you use sash??? I would have thought aquarium silicon would be non toxic...

I also use newsagent cardboard. The advantage over paint is that you can change the colour anytime, easily. This can have a huge impact on the overall look of the tank. I originally had black, then went with a sky blue, and now am using a nice reddish brown on all my tanks, which gives a warm look. I have american and sth american fish, so I might use a different colour for africans...

sutchi.

I agree with a lot of the comments especially the excess space. The thing I found bad about my one was that I cut it down to fit and didnt do a great job. The end result was that the fish could get in behind it which made it fun when you wanted to catch any of them mad.gif . I eventually pulled it out and have painted the back of the tank.

Cheers

Folkner

Archived