Rocks: Coral (002)

Hi Guys,

I am thinking to keep tropheus in my 5ft tank. And I have bought plenty of coral rocks. Just wondering would it be okay to use the coral rocks for tropheus setup? I was thinking to use limestone but it is too dense, and the lfs guys told me that coral rocks is better as they are lighter.

So, what do you guys think? does anyone using coral rocks for tropheus setup?

Regards,

Tony

Hi Tony!

I have never used coral rock for my Tropheus but i guess it is OK! I do have quite large grade 5 coral sand and i tend to use limestone rock. If u r using it as a buffer, i think good coral rock or aragonite substrate will be sufficient. I have about 40kg of limestone rock from Auburn Aquariums and everything seems OK. If u r getting coral rock, make sure there r no sharp bits as Tropheus may damage themselves if they accidentally bump into it!

By the way, what type of Tropheus do u keep and where r u getting the coral rocks from?

Dave

Hey Tony,

If you jump into Tropheus and do it properly you won't regret it, they are unreal. An added bonus is that everyone who owns them is normally too happy to help others out who need advice.

Good luck with it,

Jamie.

PS If you go with Tropheus check Jim out, his breeding colonies are wild caught and his prices for juvies are cheap as. You can find him in the breeder section.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

Dave, I got the coral rocks from st. george aquariums. I am thinking to keep T. Duboisi first, see how I go.

Steve, thanks for your great homepage. It helps a lot.

Steve and Merjo, do you have any problems of tropheus bumped into the coral rocks (as I think it is quite sharp)?

Jamie, thanks for your help. I will contact Jim after my tank is ready to go.

My questions now is, I have a latex cave, and plenty of coral rocks. How should I put them? which one is better do you think?

- Put the latex cave on the left hand side conner, and stack the coral rocks on the right hand side conner up to the top (water line), and put 1 or 2 lava rocks on the center. So that they have plenty of playing place on the center of the bottom tank.

- Put the latex cave on the left hand side, and spread the coral rocks from the latex cave to the right hand side? But less open space for them to play with the substrate?

- or some other suggestions???

And would it be alright if I use beach sand as the substrate, and I have plenty of crushed marbel in the sump and in the canister? Now the PH is about 8.0, it might increase a bit after I put the rocks into the tank.

Regards,

Tony

Hi fishly,

I just bought some juveniles T. Duboisi from Jim the other day and they are great. I am sure he would have more.

I am definately going back to get some more from Jim when I get my bigger tanks.

Cheers

Frank

when you first get T. I advise just a little rock to give them somewhere to hide but not too much so you can see if any have withdrawn and are not eating. spread it out across the tank, maybe about 30cm apart. after about 6 weeks you can add more.

With juveniles, even though they are territorial, it isnt quite as important about how you structure the rock. If adults are going in a new tank, say a 6' tank, then just one cave/rock per dominant male, maximum of 5 spread across the tank. after a few months you can usually add more rock and the males will keep their existing territoires. this way you can add more rock for females and fry hideouts and the males usually wont decide they own the whole tank, but if you start out with a lot of rock some males will claim the whole tank because they regard the rock as one continuous reef, and then it is non-stop mayhem.

hth

Archived