New 5x 2x2 Tanks set up - Which filter & substrate

ACTcichlidlover

As the title suggests I am getting a new 5x2x2 tanks (540 litres) and would appreciate some recommendations on a filter and substrate. The tank will be my current South American Cichlids I am currently keeping in 2 x 4ft tanks (210 litres each).

What is the best substrate for these fish (Severums, Geophagus Brasiliensis, Keyholes and Threadfin Acaras).

Also what is the best filter or filters I can buy for under $500? I was looking at the Aqua One nautilus 2700 with an existing canister (2000 litres per hour from memory) I have already.

Ap

preciate all comments as well as any recommendations for other fish. I do not want to keep any Centrals in with this tank as from my experience they bully these fish.

Geophagus are a beautiful fish. Things like substrate are a personal thing depending on background colour etc but just make sure you get a neutral substrate that doesn't buffer or raise your ph. There are plenty around in your local fish shop. Make sure to put in a nice bed of substrate for them...dont be too stingey!! Also something of the size they can sift through and move around.

As far as your filter is concerned I'm not overly up to date with them atm but normally aquaone are quite reliable. If that one pumps through 2000 lph then it should be plenty for a 5 footer imo. If you have any left over from 500 bucks then maybe just add some more filter material to your filter if you have the space.

Personally I'm a fan of pool filter sand. It's natural coloured, won't affect your pH, allows cichlids to dig and sift, and it's cheap.

Does pool filter sand compact and not allow air etc into it and becomes toxic to the fish? I had heard some type of sand (river?) does this. Also wouldn't pool filter sand be very difficult to vacumn?

Where would you get it from (see you live in the next suburb:-).

Personally I'm a fan of pool filter sand. It's natural coloured, won't affect your pH, allows cichlids to dig and sift, and it's cheap.

Does pool filter sand compact and not allow air etc into it and becomes toxic to the fish? I had heard some type of sand (river?) does this. Also wouldn't pool filter sand be very difficult to vacumn?

Where would you get it from (see you live in the next suburb:-).

I've never had a problem with pool filter sand compacting and becoming anaerobic, it may have something to do with the grain size which is relatively large. I'd be wary of some types of finer types of sand e.g. builders or play sand (which also tend to have a lot more silt and need more washing). Either way don't make it too deep and between your cichlids and gravel vacs it will be fine.

Vacuuming it isn't hard, just keep an eye on it and stop the suction until it falls back down if it's getting too high up the vac. It's pretty cheap so if it little bit goes up the hose it shouldn't break the bank.

Any of the local pool shops should have it, just be sure to check with them it is sand and not "it's as good as sand" zeolite (which may be true in a pool filter but not so for aquarium substrate). Occassionally irrigation shops will have it too. Last time I bought some it was around $20 for a 25kg bag from the pool shop at Weston Creek.

i personally use play sand from bunnings. have done for my aussie natives and my africans.

Africans sift a lot of sand so that helps aerate the sand, but i still vacuum my sand as if it were gravel.

maybe its my lighting im not sure but i do get glare from the light bouncing off the bottom of the tank.

Archived