Finished my tank set up - need advice

Total

Hi guys

I finally finished my 4ft tank set up (120cmx40cm front to back and 55cm deep) .

Stocked with

2 Firemouth - may need help sexing later I believe they are 1 Male 1 Female

1 Bristlenose Pleco

14 Tiger barbs (5 Green , 9 Tiger)

I have a Eheim 2213 running a spray bar on the left and the intake a few cm's below the surface on the right. I also have a small powerhead filter with only a sponge inside. Its positioned in between the middle of the tank and the intake for 2213 and is rated to 1000/lph (apparently). I am planning on upgrading to a 2217 . I understand firemouths don't appreciate fast flow and am concerned. I plan on removing the powerhead filter and using the 2217 and 2213 , with the 2217 intake being closer to the bottom and on the opposity end to the 2213 intake. Is this a decent set up or should I be removing the 2213 as well as the powerhead?.

I have been trying to keep the bio load pretty low and I'm hoping I haven't overstocked. I am following previous advice by buying a 2217 secondhand. Someone also mentioned turning one the 2213 into biological filter and the 2217 into a mechanical filter. To me this means 2217 would have mostly sponges and the 2213 would have mostly chunky media , basically I would be splitting my current setup into two canisters. I am still concerned about the flow rate from running to filter , though Im probably over thinking it.

Basically I am asking where to from here :) everything seems to be going well so far a side from the poop factory aka my Bristlenose Pleco creating a fair bit of mess :)

Cheers and thanks for helping out a beginner - Ill try find my camera for pictures eventually

Total

I have a 2213 on a small tank, I've taken out all filter pads bar the very filter coarse pad and placed this at the top and fillled it with matrix. Even with out the fine pads the water is super clear.

So would setup both filters in the same way the more matrix you can have the more stable your tank will be.

As this is a new tank your still going to have cycle issues so 10 or 15 percent water change every few days for at least two week and then maybe every 4 to 5 days for at least another 4 weeks will mean no dead fish.

The power head could be moved closer to the water surface and used to cause agitation as getting O2 in to the water is very important.

Cheers

Hey

The tank is already cycled. I assume if I just used the current media it would still be cycled and the new 2217 would just need to develop its own bacteria . The 2213 which has been keeping my tank healthy so far would still be able to do so. I have moved the powerhead up a bit so it agitates the surface more. It is still placed on the back of the tank between the middle and the right hand edge. That sounds more simple than my set up to my current filter which is a course filter pad - matrix - matrix - activated carbon - wool and a fine filter pad. Its worked so far but keeping it simple sounds better.

Cheers

Ok if its cycled with older media and your not adding extra fish then a water change regiment like I mentioned is not needed. Just do you normal once a week.

Yes removing all the extra pad in my case made for a much more stable system and the result was a tank which has not had any issues in over a year and has needed little to no maintance other than the water changes.

Your tank stock levels are fine with that current filter, Total.

Getting a 2217 will would be beneficial adding more fish. Adding a 2217 and 2213 will have plenty of filtration for most anything you decide to put in (within common sense of course)

If you get a 2217 then I'd use that as your main biological filter and the little 2213 as your polishing filter. You will still have some biological media in your 2213 canister but you can just add a little more filter wool for the polish.

I also wouldn't worry about your powerhead and water flow (as long as its not a whirlpool) Tanks need a little current or you get dead spots in your tank.

Also you can remove the carbon. It is no benefit to your tank. If you get a 2217 then I'd pull the carbon to give you room for a little more filter wool.

Awesome I hadn't planned on adding anything else at current as I wasn't really sure on stocking levels. My powerhead doesn't create anything that resembles a whirlpool and stationary fish at night don't appear to be being pushed around so I think I am safe. Awesome that sounds like a good idea , Ill just remove the carbon and but wool in its place once I get the 2217.

When I do get the 2217 any suggestions on what to add fish wise ? I may get some more live plants to replace my silk ones gradually I haven't quite decided.

Cheers and thanks for the tips :)

Total

Archived