Lake Victoria Cichlids

einparadoxon

Hello, are also lake victoria cichliden holder in this forum?

Which types do you cultivate in your aquaria?

i need some information about the species you are hold in your tanks. Most of the species, in the lake and in aquaria, are lost in the last few years. i need to collect this information, who has which species and which species is lost forever.

thx for reading this post

I apologize for my bad English.

G day mate

And welcome

Here in Australia not many cichlids can be legally imported and none from lake Victoria however we have some fish here

We have some flame back variennts , zebra obliquens , salmon hippo point , burtoni ,brownae , broke bar,

These are the trade names

Hopefully some fellow people here can give you the scientific names

Cheers

Craig

Thanks for your welcome.

I hope the Victorian cichlids holder give me more information.

But good to know thats a few of species are live in your aquaria.

Why it is so difficult to import the species? Did you mean the import directly from west-afrika or the import from overall in your country?

I know about two typ of the Hapl. Flameback. The normaly flameback and the flameback from kyoga.

Bye

i currently have:

Haplochromis aneocolor (not actually from the lake, but from nearby satellite lakes)

Enterochromis cf. paropius "broken bar"

Pundamilia sp. "red head" (zue island)

can easily get

Astatotilapia burtoni (not from lake victoria, but people seem to lump them together anyway! also, these seems a bit 'off' sometimes, maybe cross bred)

Haplochromis sp.44. "Thickskin" (dubious quality... probably cross bred)

Xystichromis phytophagus "christmas fulu" (again, dubious quality probably cross bred or mis labeled)

Astatotilapia brownae (probably as above :( )

Phytochromis sp. "salmon" (good ones)

Astatotilapia lafasciata (usually pretty washed out looking ime)

have seen pics of/heard about

Pundamilia nyererei "python island"

Pundamilia nyererei "makobe island"

Astatotilapia nubila

maybe more i have missed...

Burtoni are from lake tang as tranced has stated. The newer Vic's that have been introduced into the market id assume are pure lines. The others have been lost and only pure ones kept by few hobbyists. Tranced I'd like to see some photos of your red heads. Have never heard or seen them before

Hi mates,

im a member of the cichlidworld forum in germany. There is a common interest group for Lake Victoria Cichliden in Germany.

http://www.ig-victoriasee-cichliden.de/

These members have the task of keeping endangered species alive.

Some of them have some rare species. Check out this guy: Marco Welss

http://www.welss.de/fische.html

We have this species here in germany:

Pundamilia nyererei "python island"

Pundamilia nyererei "makobe island"

Astatotilapia nubila

Burtoni are from lake tang as tranced has stated. The newer Vic's that have been introduced into the market id assume are pure lines. The others have been lost and only pure ones kept by few hobbyists. Tranced I'd like to see some photos of your red heads. Have never heard or seen them before

sure, I got them from a local retailer, would you believe it?

Picture211_zps9b7d2861.jpg

are there any import restrictions in germany, einparadoxon? i would have thought you could get any species you wanted over there!

Hi,

i think these are the right names for your mentioned fishes:

- Astatotilapia aneocolor from Lake Albert ( syn. Haplochromis sp. Yellow Belly )

- Enterochromis cf. paropius syn. Haplochromis sp. "broken bar"

- Phytochromis sp. "salmon"??? Ptyochromis Hippo Point Salmon!!

- Astatotilapia lafasciata??? Astatotilapia latifasciata!!!

Astatotilapia burtoni is endemic in the lake Tanganijka and Lukuga to Kongo. That’s not a lake Victoria fish.

I have enquired the members from the cw-forum because of the name from the fish in the picture.

During all these years, breeders always have to tried only one species in an aquarium to proliferate in this country (germany). It's important to not cross the species with other species.

Juveniles were given away from us in other countrys. France, denmark, swedish, belgium, moscow, switzerland, poland... marco welss had organized a transport to amerika with a lot of species. I dont know did you have the same import restrictions how in the usa?

Last month i have heard about trips from americans to the lake victoria. they catch fishes, but we dont know if thats an old species or an hybrid is.

Sorry, please improve my English if it no sense results. Its not my native language.

Hi,

sorry but i think the fish from myster619 is not the same from you.

Look at the colours...they are different.Your fish (tranced) is clear a Pundamilia sp. "red head" (zue island).

He has the green primary or ground colour and a pink-red head...small dark crossbars over his body. in breedingmood (desire) his body and fins coloured more darker and his head loosing a little bit of pink-red and became a dark mask.

Can you show me some pics of our Haplochromis brownae?

No more vic breeders /keepers here who wants to talk about this old species?

Archived