Filter Media 2

Ged

</DIV><H1>Scoria as a medium</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fishbits</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi

<br>

I have just brought a new canister filter and was just

<br>

wondering has anyone used it and what you think.

<br>

<br>

Sean

<P><STRONG>Author: chorrylan</STRONG><BR><BR>hmmm I've used scoria in trickle filters and know a few other people who have done so quite successfully but I've never tried it in a canister.

<br>

<br>

I'd be a bit concerned about it clogging up so would probably only use it after quite a bit of pre-filtering.

<br>

<br>

If you're looking for cheap canister media why not use drinking straws?

<br>

I have a fry tank filtered by a fluval 304 using

<br>

- foam prefilter blocks

<br>

- dupla minikaskade bio balls

<br>

- ceramic noodles (that came with the filter)

<br>

- drinking straws

<br>

plus a layer of filter wool on each layer to stop gunk flowing from one to the next.

<br>

When I have tiny fry in the tank I add a foam prefilter on the intake so they don't get sucked in but apart from this there is no other filtration or aeration (there are some plants and the canister outlet is at the water surface to aid in oxygenation).

<br>

<br>

This lot has worked happily for months without problems.

<br>

<br>

Laurie

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: nev62</STRONG><BR><BR>I've only used it in DIY filters, sorry.

<br>

Nev

<br>

<P><STRONG>Author: blue gularis</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi sean,

<br>

I have used it for years. Ehiem used to recomend it for thier canister filters before the came up with the white sintered glass. Pieces over 1 inch are one of the few filter media that support anarobic bacteria.

<br>

<br>

In Europe and Southern America it is widely used for filters if you typed in lava rock+filters into your search engine you should get a bit more info.

<br>

<br>

Gary H-H

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: AmericanPhysco</STRONG><BR><BR>sorta off the topic but anyways....

<br>

<br>

i wanted to ask you guys if youve had experience with algae growth in the pipes of your cannister filters. I used clear hosing for mine and after a few months ive noticed small, round,green growth in the hoses...what to do...good or bad??

<br>

<br>

thanks guys

<br>

<br>

Johnno

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: spedwards</STRONG><BR><BR>I've got the green eheim hoses on my eheim filter (funny that), after afew years of running the pipes got really clogged up with "stuff" which reduced the flow rate and the filter became quite noisy.

<br>

<br>

I don't necessarily think that it is a bad thing having it there, there isn't really a lot you can do to stop it. Every couple of months now i just take the hoses out and run water through them using the laundry tap as it seems to get better pressure and i can put the pipe onto it.

<br>

Jon

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Baz</STRONG><BR><BR>Your lfs should be able to sell you (or order you) a cleaner for the hoses. It is a long bit of flexi wire with a bristly brush on each end. Under normal running water, poke an end in the hose as far as it will go then pull it back out and stand back in amazement at the amount of crap you had in there. I've used one of these for about 10 yrs now with no problems at all.

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: AmericanPhysco</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks for that guys! got me worried for second!

<br>

<br>

Johnno

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: dodol</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Gary,

<br>

<br>

Lava rocks that are sold for BBQ has a warning that it may contain gas. Are they safe for filter? Coles sells volcanic rock for BBQ but its all black. Are they the same?

<br>

<br>

Thanks.

<br>

<br>

DD

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: blue gularis</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi DD

<br>

I have never read the packaging. But I give mine a good soak at least two day and a good wash this would force out any gas that was in them. I would say the warnings there for insurance purposes incase it flared up when someone lit the BBQ.

<br>

<br>

The red larva rock is the best but the black still works, I am using the black at the moment. I used to get it from a my local garden supply, take a bucket and pick through the pile and get the size bits I needed. Because of public liabilty they wont let me look through thier piles any more.

<br>

<br>

The bacteria in your filter needs something to attach to you could put a smelly old sandshoe in your filter and the bacteria will still colonise it. When you overfeed the whole tank becomes a filter you can feel this buy running your finger along the glass on the inside of the tank if it is slimey the tank is overfeed or stocked.

<br>

<br>

Gary H-H

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fishbits</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks I will give it a go.

<br>

Sean

Archived