Filtration: sumps : pumps

AUS-HAWK

G'day all

I am gradually making my way through my DIY system. And now, I am in need if a sump pump (and some sump ideas).

I need a pump that has a delivery rate of around 3000L/ph when it has pumped the water 1.5m upwards.

I would be very grateful if you could post your system and pump recomendations. blush.gif

what size tank?

I have two 4x2's & run a King-3 (2400lph) on one & a SP6000 (from AOA, 2800lph) on the other.

here's my dodgy DIY setup --> Click me!

The only thing is to make sure you make really big holes in the spraybars (5-10mm), otherwise you have to clean them out monthly. I have the two 4x2's & a std 4' running on this design filter without any ammonia/nitrite ever so they seem to do the job alright.

The only complaint is their mechanical filtering ability isn't the best (as the debris doesn't get sucked up) so some mechanical filtration or regular gravel vaccing will be needed if you are fussy.

good luck

Its a 5'x2'x2' with a 4'x15"x18" sump. There are 3 x 25mm overflow holes going from the tank to the sump. I have two aquaclear 500's for mechanical filtration to put in the sump.

Thanks for the advice on the spraybar. smile.gif I plan to try making that tommorow.

I will post pics of the stand, background, sump etc soon.

in terms of the sump to use you can build one out fo a tank bought off the trading post, the size'll depend on your tank.

If your looking for a good return pump the new RIO HYPERFLOWS work really well.

At the shop where i work Aquamart we use Hyperflows to pump water 3 up to tanks on the top racks.

hope that helps

thumb.gif

Man I never understand these sump systems! I know the water drains OUT of the tank with gravity, trickles through the media, into the container, then the pump sends it up pipes INTO the tank. Im assuming the fact the sump is lower than the water level means the water drains out by itself right? How do you ensure that the pump isnt so powerful that it shoots all the water back into the tank before enough water drains down to fill the bottom of the container it sits in? How can you limit the flow of water OUT of the tank into the container so it doesnt fill so fast that the pump doesnt have time to send it back to the tank and the container overflows?

Man Im stupid .... its a wonder I pass uni courses! blink.gif

duhhh

sorry mate

the water volume going in = what is going out of the tank blink.gif

ie- if the tank is full to the point that if any more water is put in the volume put in is the volume that comes out

the water volume in the sump dont change laugh.gifthumb.gif

BBR, the flow out of the tank is regulated by an "overflow" meaning any excess water above the overflow line instantly drains into the sump again. SO once the tank is full to a certain level, any more water drains out. Therefore, whatever volume of water the pump pushes back into the tank will be the volume which drains out of the tank. At an exactly equal rate. You would need some kind of powerful pump to move more water through a hose than can be drained through a 35mm bulkhead. BUt you are right, it could be possible to fill the tank faster than it can drain if it isn't designed right. However a standard of a 35mm pipe for draining and a drastically thinner outlet on the pump mean this is hard to do.

Exactly. If the pump doesn't have a variable flow rate you can control the flow with taps on the return pipe. However this creates pressure on the pump. dry.gif

I think ill go with the:

Aqua Medic Oceanrunner OR3500 Pump $ 207.55

Stats:

- 65Watt

- 3.2mt Head

- 3500 litres per hour

- 2mt cable for indoor use only

Connections:

Inlet: 1 inch male thread

Outlet: 3/4 inch. male thread

What do you reckon?

Picture an icecream container sitting on the table. It is full of water. The only way you will get water out of it is to put more water into it. The amount of water which overflows from the container is exactly the amount you put into it.

This is exactly how an overflow works in a tank. You pump water into the tank, which raises the water level above the weir height, and that's how much water you will get down the weir and into your filter.

If you pump 3000 Lph into your tank, you will get roughly 3000 Lph through your filter. If you pump 10000 Lph into your tank, you will get roughly 10000 Lph through your filter.

Archived