Sump pump broken, switch to cannister?

rennie_08

Hi guys, just wondering of I could have everyone's thoughts and opinions, I have a 3x2x2 that currently is running a sump, I need to replace the pump, am I better off scraping the sump and getting a cannister filter? Or what do you guys think?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris its a personal preference, personally I would keep the sump as it increases your water volume and you can pack more filter media & a bigger bacteria colony in there. Also easier to maintain IMO. The downside is the noise it creates vs a canister filter. If you can live with more noise, personally I would stick with the sump, otherwise the canister will be quieter.

A canister is all you need....much quieter and far more efficient therefore less expensive to run

Seems there is a common belief that with more media you get more bacteria....but that is just no so

Bacteria need 2 things oxygen and food.

The bacteria in any colony will only get as big as the food available to sustain it

I've been running large canisters on my turtle tanks for years and find they work well however on my 7ft African tank I'm running a 5ft sump and it's been a dream. Pros and cons for both but I find the water quality on my African tank is pristine and should be compared to turtles and that a sump is a lot easier to clean. Best of luck and just my 2 cents.

Also you can get some really good low wattage sump pumps pretty cheap these days.

Archived