Steatocranus casuarius

hitman

Hi all, have been offered 3 for swaps...are they rare (am in TAS) and how sociable, have Labeotrophus x 2 and Cyrtocara x 1 are they going to be amenable? should I ratio 1m - 2 f, to allow them to choose a pair as thats what I have read, also my tank sits @ 7.6ph, with temp of 27 degrees, reading on blocks say ph around 6-7..any insights etc...thanks in advance . Nick T

they arnt rare but hard to find sometimes in the hobby if you can get them get them the more around the better.they are a gd cichlid in a community tank.ph is fine ive had mine in ph of 8 and they did well.they may be rare in tas but you would need to do some research.they are not an allowable import which is a huge shame as the steatocranus are are a beautiful cichlid

Hi Nick

there are 2 species of Labeotropheus

Labeotropheus fuelleborni

high body

Labeotropheus trewavasae

thin low body

the main feature of Labeotropheus is they have a nose

Cyrtocara moorii AKA blue Dolphin

both Labeotropheus and Cyrtocara are compatible tankmates

best kept in groups of 1M 2F or larger to reduce spawning pressure on the females

Forgot to mention Tassie has different regulations on trading fish

interesting concept that private owners can't sell in Tassie they can

only "Trade"

Aquarium Industry

The Service has responsibility for the regulation of the aquarium industry in Tasmania. This includes the registration of all importers and premises, as well as the prohibition of fish and invertebrates that pose a risk of establishment in Tasmania or are likely carriers of disease or other pathogens.

In Tasmania it is illegal to import or sell freshwater ornamental fish (aquarium species) unless you are a registered fish dealer. Anyone who imports or sells freshwater live fish or freshwater fish product must be a registered fish dealer. Unless you are a registered fish dealer you must not sell fish or advertise for the sale of fish.

To breed ornamental fish in Tasmania (tropical or coldwater) to sell you need to be a licenced fish farm operator. The sale of fish bred under a fish farm licence then requires a fish dealer registration.

The forms relating to the licencing of fish farms and registration as a fish dealer are available at the bottom of this page. A file showing the fish permitted to be imported by registered fish dealers is also listed there. For further information email infish@ifs.tas.gov.au

Sorry Nick mis-read your post

if you like the fish why not

re the water parameters they aren't that fussed but if they in different

water parameters then stage them in in a bucket with a drip

I've had more success breeding Steatocranus in pairs rather than groups

give them a breeding cave that the female can block off the entrance to

feed them up with live blackworms, shrimp or some protein to condition

I have bred them with both power filters and sponge filters running on

the breeding tank

they have bred in single species breeding tank and in a community tank

so there are no hard and fast rules

Archived