a few questions regarding filtration

Todd

i am in the process of setting up a sump for my 6x2x2 which will house tangs. the sump is 30"x15"x15", which i know is very small. this is what im thinking it will be like once finished...

IPB Image

my questions are as follows.

should i be expecting trouble with the pump running dry due to evaporation?

what bio media should i use? im thinking matrix?

should i expect much noise from the drain setup?

is this - http://www.aquariump...ID=5519&catID=9 - any different to purigen?

is there a better setup that i should consider?

and also, not regarding filtration.

does anyone have experience with these - http://www.aquariump...D=5489&catID=41 - ? i am looking to up the flow in the tank, and think something like this would be my best option, but... would it be too powerful?

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Todd

i have the sump setup and running at the moment, it just hasn't had the baffles and media installed. it cant overflow if i don't overfill it...

a larger sump isn't really an option...

If your running a tang tank setup. I recommend adding large crushed coral pieces. I ditched the idea of matrix and went with coral and noodles. Works fantastic and buffers my water above 8.

IMO the sump size is small but if you can't fit anything else then you have no option. If it dosnt overfill when the power goes off you should be fine. Your biggest problem will then be monitoring water height in your sump. As you will be on a fine line of overflow and running dry.

Good luck with it all

It could be close once filled with media. Matrix is good, you could also use bio balls on the bit which isn't underwater. Thick black sponge is good too.

It may be noisy. Is the tank back drilled, if so use T bulkheads with a cap. Drill a small hole in the cap.

Put lids on the sump. Helps with evaporation.

The water naturally sits around 8.6-8.8 . Its bore water.

Hmm, to tell the truth I hadn't considered the the amount of displacement caused by the water...

The tank is drilled with an overflow which is running a durso standpipe. 25mm hole.

Hello, I cant get any info on pump. But I do work with pumps. Basically you should be looking to turn over the volume of water in the tank at least once an hour. As far as filter medium tou have a number of choices. Bio-balls, filter matting in various coursness ie. larger holes to finer meshing, ceramic noodles ets. What is the output - ensure that it will give you the right LPH.

Good Luck

what would be the best setup for the drain pipe? i have been told that it should be quieter submerged, however that is how it is setup at the moment and it isn't quiet at all. it forces large bubbles through the drainpipe that make alot of gurgleing when they enter the sump. i was thinking just make like a spray bar sortof thing?

also, does anyone have experience with the proppeller type powerheads? would 5000lph be too much? or would the 3000lph be plenty?

Thanks,

Todd

Archived