Ps Elongatus Kompact

johns

Hi All

Came across these fish the other day male is blue with black bars and females are blotched will get some pics up soon, any information on these as I am looking at getting them.

They are with a very reputable cichlid keeper of over 20yrs who says they breed true.

Cheers John

I have never heard of that variety.

However, with a name like that, it sounds like a German or european "trade name".

Could be a tank bred variety of a certain colour variety?? *EDIT- scratch that refer to next post. More investigation needed, but if you like them and they breed true get them.

Any pics? Could help with a closer ID.

or are they these?

http://www.bigskycichlids.com/Mslim_compact.htm

http://www.malawi-dream.info/Maylandia_sp_zebra_slim.htm

Also found this reference.

http://www.webcityof.com/miffIdx10look.php...=Pseudotropheus

Pseudotropheus 'Zebra Mbamba Bay Kompakt' See Pseudotropheus sp 'Zebra Slim'

Note that the taxonomy is not according to Ad Konings "Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat", 4th ed

but by the looks of the references are all the same fish. Just need to know for sure if "yours" is the same as this.

Which highlights the need to keep up-to-date with current taxonomy and recording accurate names.

or are they these?

http://www.bigskycichlids.com/Mslim_compact.htm

Also found this reference.

http://www.webcityof.com/miffIdx10look.php...=Pseudotropheus

Pseudotropheus 'Zebra Mbamba Bay Kompakt' See Pseudotropheus sp 'Zebra Slim'

Note that the taxonomy is not according to Ad Konings "Malawi Cichlids in their natural habitat", 4th ed

but by the looks of the references are all the same fish. Just need to know for sure if "yours" is the same as this.

Which highlights the need to keep up-to-date with current taxonomy and recording accurate names.

Hi Mattrox

Thank you very much for the help these are exactly what they look like based on this I have ordered a trio will upload some pics shortly.

Males are blue and females are OB.

Its good to know we have another variety available to us in the hobby. Will look forward to seeing the fry.

Cheers John

I'd be keen to see photos. There were a few 'kompakts' floating around a couple of years ago but weren't as slim/elongate as you would expect. Hard to say if they were hybrids or just typical australian stock.

I probably should point out for those not familar with this fish, males can be either BB or OB (roughly 1 in 10 males will be OB) and females can be either OB or O (with OB being typical, probably 99 out of every 100 girls.)

i would say they are the M. zebra 'Kompact' or 'Slim' these have been around for ages and fit the description. Kanned_guru is right, the males can also be OB (Marmelade cat). correct me if im wrong but i dont think there is an OB elongatus type?

Probably because they are neither Pseudotropheus or "elongatus".

I wasn't the one who mislabelled them as either Pseudotropheus or elongatus if that is what you were getting at.

If you are familiar with the fish you would see my point; they are typically a very slim and elongated fish, much more so than any Pseudotropheus elongatus. The ones I have seen in Australia in the past have had a much more typical mbuna shape.

No, I know you didn't mislabel them. I just stated I hate it when I come across it because there is always that doubt about what they are.

In this series of pics the 1st male (and females) are slim, but the next male fish is rounder. Maybe they fill out as they mature? Maybe it is individual difference within the species?

The ones I have seen have been the shape of Metriclima callanois or estherae, although I am tempted to put that down to the limited gene pool that was originally available here.

They were beautiful fish, but trying to convince anyone that they weren't a 20c OB zebra was totally impossible.

Ad Konings (2007) Malawi Cichlids in Their Natural Habitat, p56.

"It is possible to argue that that geographical variation between M. zebra populations is acceptable, and this may include variation in morphology, such as the "Zebra Slim" would become another geographical variatan of M. zebra. But for the time being it is treated as a distinct species that is characterised by a slender body."

I guess if it doesn't have a slender body it would be hard to convice anyone that it is different than a 20c Zebra.

Hi Mattrox

Thank you very much for the help these are exactly what they look like based on this I have ordered a trio will upload some pics shortly.

Males are blue and females are OB.

Its good to know we have another variety available to us in the hobby. Will look forward to seeing the fry.

Cheers John

Keep us posted would be really good to see your fish!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They sound like Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Blue". Also known as "Blueberry Kompact", I sold off quite a number after having them confirmed on a few different websites, including my breeders when I got out of Africans. They ended up being spread around the Central Coast, Newcastle and Sydney.

I have a few pics about, I will see what I can turn up.

Mine also originally came from a low profile reputable keeper of cichlids with a lot of years in the hobby too.

• 3 months later...

They sound like Metriaclima sp. "Zebra Blue". Also known as "Blueberry Kompact", I sold off quite a number after having them confirmed on a few different websites, including my breeders when I got out of Africans. They ended up being spread around the Central Coast, Newcastle and Sydney.

I have a few pics about, I will see what I can turn up.

Mine also originally came from a low profile reputable keeper of cichlids with a lot of years in the hobby too.

Except that "sp zebra blue' isn't striped in the non OB form. Perhaps a misidentification?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1464

"Comments:

M. sp. "Zebra Blue" has 2 color forms. The normal male color is a solid pale blue, lacking any vertical bars. Females are a dark beige color with very faint vertical bars. The OB males can vary dramatically. Some remnants of vertical bars may be visible, but these are blue-blotched. What distinguishes this OB male from those of other zebra types is the absolute lack of black pigment. Their body exhibits an overall peach sheen (not blue as in other zebra type OB males) and the dark blue and purple blotches are distributed over the entire body, including the fins. OB males occur with a frequency of 1:100 in captivity and are quite rare. OB males can only be produced from OB parents. OB females are orange and beige blothced. Again, there is a lack of black pigment. Juveniles have the normal female coloration until sexually mature. OB males and females do not aquire the botches until at least 3 months old."

http://www.malawi-dream.info/Maylandia_sp_...leri_Island.htm

I had a colony of these which i sold recently.

I bought them as 5 cm juvies from a breeder who sold them as Metriaclima Kompact. He also called them blueberry.

They were more typical mbuna shape than slim.

Males were either blue with dark blue vertical barring or blotched.

Females were blotched.

About 6 years ago MikeW was selling them as Kompacts.

We don't have these in SA as far as I am aware as they just aren't available. That is why I am so interested in these fish.

From my research into the old names there is only one fish that has been called "Kompakt", "compact" or "Kompact" and that has now been referred to as M. "zebra slim" by Ad Konings.

And "Blueberry" seems to be a descriptive name for OB males with a blue sheen.

I might just add I hate common names as they cause so much confusion... Don't even start me on "Flameback" LOL

I'm now on the look out for breeders who would ship to me.

We don't have these in SA as far as I am aware as they just aren't available. That is why I am so interested in these fish.

From my research into the old names there is only one fish that has been called "Kompakt", "compact" or "Kompact" and that has now been referred to as M. "zebra slim" by Ad Konings.

And "Blueberry" seems to be a descriptive name for OB males with a blue sheen.

I might just add I hate common names as they cause so much confusion... Don't even start me on "Flameback" LOL

I'm now on the look out for breeders who would ship to me.

Hi Mattrox

Thanks for all the research mine have started to breed but girls not holding full term yet. :( If you do find any for sale let me know as i would like to increase the colony as have 1m 5f for now.

cheers john

Archived