Metriaclima sp. "slim/compact zebra" OB

YAL05T

I have some Metriaclima sp. "slim/compact zebra" OB, which I have also seen labelled as "blueberry compact". I have read that Ad Konings recognises the species as coming from Higga Reef.

I was going to bring some to the auction, but I have heard others say that what I bought as a true species is a hybrid.

Any other keepers thoughts and others ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brett

The auction program will not have a photo or any info for this fish. You will need to provide it to the Cichlid Society if you want to have a better chance of them selling at auction, Provided of course, the NSWCS allows them to be sold.

You may have to provide the club with any info that supports the fact they are a true species, not that I am doubting, but it will save issues on the day

Josh

Cheers Josh.

I am going to try and get some decent photos of them to add to this topic and I might pm some of the society guys too with all the info I can put together on them.

I was under the impression they were from Mbamba Bay Island, is that the same as or similar to Higga Reef?

I'm pretty sure it's a similar part of lake Malawi, but I could be wrong.

Some photo's would be awesome. Do they have darker stripes or more of a spangle blue/marmalade pattern?

They are all OB, the males have an amazing blue sheen over them, the females I have are showing a more orange tendency. I ended up with 2 males and 4 females from the 7 I bought, one didnt make it to adult hood, I think it was killed by the alpha male as they were very close in size growing out.

I think mbamba bay and higga reef are quite close.

They are all OB, the males have an amazing blue sheen over them, the females I have are showing a more orange tendency. I ended up with 2 males and 4 females from the 7 I bought, one didnt make it to adult hood, I think it was killed by the alpha male as they were very close in size growing out.

I think mbamba bay and higga reef are quite close.

So when you say you were thinking about bringing some to the NSWCS Auction are you talking about fry or adults?

• 2 months later...

As far as i am aware they are are a valid species from mbamba. Males have the blue/ black bars in the their normal colouration but a high percentage obtain the OB or 'marmalade cat' colouring. Females are mostly OB but can also be the silver/grey colour. They have been in the hobby for a long while and i believe they were crossed with an Aulonacara spp. to get the marble peacock hybrid.

cheers

Okay seriously this is the best I can get of these pains in the butt, they are the most camera shy and stupidly fast fish I have ever tried to get a pic of.

I am looking to relocate the colony into a larger tank as I have added to the number so I might toss one into one of Matt's fry savers and use it as a photo booth.

IPB Image

Cheers,

Brett

Last time i saw one was an adult ob male about 4 years ago! Very stunning fish.

Where did you source yours from?

Its a shame to see these guys fade away.

An old bloke up here sold some fry to a mate of mine when he owned black pearl aquarium. We just held on to them and were lucky enough to end up with 2 males and 5 females, one new female from the first batch has been added.

We have managed to get around 30-40 juvies to the 4-5cm mark now and are looking to sell some on to help keep them about.

And yes m0oks, you are top of the list to get some juvies ;)

Cheers,

Brett

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Brett,

This is a Metriaclima sp ,,,,, not a Marble peacock that Mbuna is talking about is it not?.

Marble peacock is a cross (Hybird) :B but the Mel is not ??

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Blotched Zebra are a valid species and have been around a long time

but like Esterae (Tangerine Zebra) they tended to fade away

Blueberry was a trade name they were given in US so it followed out

here because a change in trade name is always a good jump start

when sales slow down

at least with the blue blotch being male and the orange blotch female

they are easy to sexI always preferred the more solid blotches than

the peppered lighter blotching

Yes these were hybridized with Aulonacara to produce OB Peacocks

Chris

Archived