Heat Wave damage

bob308

Hi

The recent heat wave that past caused a lot of fish causalities for a lot of people. I lost a number of fish but the ones that survived aren't acting the same. I have a colony of T. Bemba Reds which used to produce 3-4 mouthfuls a month on average. I have counted 6 mouthfuls since the heat wave and they have all either spat them out or eaten the eggs the next day.

Could this mean that they are infertile from heat damage, possibly damaging organs or could it be that they have lost there bearings and maybe have to re-establish themselves.

I have had this colony for 3 years and have had many spawns, the PH is 8.5 the temp currently is sitting on 26.7, filtration is 4500lph in a 6x2x2 30 fish in the colony. Nothing has changed from the tank specs apart form the heat wave hitting.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

Bobby

Maybe they want to be sure the temp has stabilised again before holding full term.

Maybe fish have been stripped for so many generations now they don't want, or know how to hold full term.

Holding eggs full term has been bred out of them because of early stripping.

These are my thoughts i could be totally wrong.

My intial thought was that the dynamics of the colony has been disturbed because youve lost some fish...it may take a while for them to sort themselves out again as dominance is re-established.

Mike

Maybe they want to be sure the temp has stabilised again before holding full term.

Maybe fish have been stripped for so many generations now they don't want, or know how to hold full term.

Holding eggs full term has been bred out of them because of early stripping.

These are my thoughts i could be totally wrong.

I let them hold full term, 4 weeks generally. I have never stripped my fish just for the reason that I beleive to let them naturally spawn and mouth brood, it pays off in the long run. I have grown these fish up from fry so they have never had this issue with spawning. Thanks for your feed back!

Cheers

Bobby

My intial thought was that the dynamics of the colony has been disturbed because youve lost some fish...it may take a while for them to sort themselves out again as dominance is re-established.

Mike

This might be the case as I lost 5 large females that did breed regularly. They do breed now and I do get regular mouth fulls but they don't hold, the females that are breeding currently are about 3.5 - 4 inches so they should be cabale. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Bobby

Mike

This might be the case as I lost 5 large females that did breed regularly. They do breed now and I do get regular mouth fulls but they don't hold, the females that are breeding currently are about 3.5 - 4 inches so they should be cabale. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers

Bobby

Losing 5 large females will affect the distribution of aggression from the males. Have you noticed the females that are holding being harassed?

I haven't sited any of the males harassing the females but I have notice more nips in there fins, but niothing nasty. I might have to place some of my Juvy Bembas into that colony just to balance the colony out again.

Cheers

Bobby

Archived