Rocks: Basalt

Hi thermofish,

I dont think Australia has the right geology

The southeast and eastern coastline of Australia is "littered" with the remains of an extinct volcanic chain. There is definately black basalt/gabbro in the east of the country wink.gif .

Check with stone masons (even memorial stone places), soil outlets and the like. I'm not sure of anywhere in Sydney where you could collect your own....but the Yass area (Taemas Basin) has nice black limestone if this is any help to you.

merjo

The only place I've seen something like that was in a small valley out Bathurst way (charcoal grey and dark and smooth) and all over the place at a farm I visit in Cooma from time to time (dark brown, jagged, but weathered).

Maybe if you have contacts out those ways, then you could be in luck.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Thrmofish,

I recently spent some time on a farm in central nsw and brought back quite a few black basalt rock boulders of different sizes. They were sourced from a freshwater creek/river, so they are nice and clean. I brought them back with the intention of setting them up in a cichlid tank, but havnt got there yet. I would be willing to part with some of them for a modest sum, and you are welcome to come have a look.

send me an email to marshresloutions@hotmail.com if interested.

Daniel

Hi Guys -

You can get black basalt on the south coast of NSW also wink.gif.

BTW: Rocks go in Technical (part of "setup").

to quote Erik Olsen (of thekrib fame) - "It's a nutty filing system, but it is all we've got!"

Hi Thermofish,

As Merjo says above there is no shortage of Basalt in Sth East Australia.

Phillip Island in Western Port Bay Victoria has tonnes of it, the black gravel is also there of course and yes it does look great in a tank.

It's only downfall is that it is extremely heavy, being a very dense rock.

Sorry I couldn't give you a place closer to home.

Remember too that it is most likely to be illegal to remove it from the beach. sadsmiley02.gif

Good luck with the search.

John.

Archived