Paratheraps synspilum vs P. melanurus

Topogigio

http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/species.php?id=235

Quote from this link......

"Comments: For many years the most popular scientific name for this fish was that of its junior synonym P. synspilus, although the differences between species were not always clear. DNA analysis showed them as sister species with a low number of differences. McMahan et al (2011) have made a morphological comparison between the two species and finally determined the synonymy of them. Being P. melanurus the older name available, this name prevails, although being less popular than that now in junior synonymy."

The quote provided comes from a study conducted into Paraneetroplus melanurus and Paraneetroplus synspilus. It is worth noting that Paraneetroplus is the recognised and valid genus for the species. Paraneetroplus melanurus (Günther 1862) can be found in the Lago de Petén system of Guatemala, and P. synspilus (Hubbs 1935) in the Río Grijalva-Usumacinta system, and other systems in Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala.

Morphological differences between the two species are minor but the key one is around the characteristics

of a dark band that begins at the caudal fin and tapers mid-body. This band is reported as straight

(horizontal) in P. melanurus but ventrally sloped in P. synspilus. The study concluded that they are in fact the same species and as P. melanurus was described first, 1862 compared to 1935, that all should be called P. melanurus.

Whilst the study was published back in April last year I still don't think that they have been officially accepted as one species.

Wolvo: re: vieja, i though that genus was reserved for black belts and others?

Ged: I didnt know of the Parannetroplus genus to be honest, but i see it in the cichladae website now... interesting.

so in essence in Australia, we have 2 races of "Quetzal cichlids" = one from Guatemala, and the other race from the rest of Central/North America... does anybody know whether we do in fact have the true Guatemalan race? as Ged put it: dark band that begins at the caudal fin and tapers mid-body. This band is reported as straight (horizontal) in P. melanurus"

Happy birthday for today by the way.

thanks mate, and for the info... now if i can get my hands on some true Guatemalan P. melanurus in Melbourne, that will be a great present to myself

Try looking up Melanurus and synspyllum on Cichlid Room Companion....these guys know their stuff.

You'll get people from all over the world.

There has been quite a discussion on this subject lately

or even Jeff Rapps on Tangled up in cichlids.

Archived