Whats wrong with my fish

taybelZ

my gold rams n angel fish both have some sort of worm in them, its red/brown and you can see a bit in its anus. I dunno what sort of worm, or how to remove them. They look disgusting and i have no ideas how they got there. All my fish seem alright, but perhaps its a good idea to treat them all. I know its not a tapeworm (seen them before), this one is skinny red/brown looks looks like blackworms coming out of it almost..

pls help!

Dave

You are not getting much help because sometimes the treatment can be more severe than than the problem.

Do some research and make sure because providing that it is the above mentioned worm problem, them it lives in a host fish.

The chemical that kills the worm is called Nematode

The host only shows slight swelling in the belly.

The real damage is done only when the worms start showing in the anus region.

Thats when the worm can do damage externally.

Already the fishes reproductive system is in question.

It can lay eggs but they are susceptable too.

2nd infections kicks in about now and causes the fish to bleed internally to death and die of bacterial infection.

The real problem is when you treat Nematode and it kills the worm, next thing is that it dies inside the host and is not flushed out, causing the host fish to die as well.

I hope that this is not your problem.

Good thing is that if this is your problem then once you have treated the tank it is unlikely to to come back once all your fish are good for a month.

Treat as directed.

I hope that helps

Sounds like just your regular tape worms to me. Seen this in discus where the worms are hanging out the anus. For info on treatment i have explained the method i have used succesfully in the past: http://ace.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=11343&hl=worms. Tape worm is a very common problem and alot of unexplained deaths of fish are actually as a result of tape worms.

Anthony cool.gif

PS: Praziquantel is the treatment used. I believe it is 1 tablet per 20 lrs. It should not have much affect on the running of your tank as long as you do a big water change around 3 days after treatment. It is a good idea to repeat treatment a couple of weeks after original treatment. With what you have described, can tell you it is most likely tape worms (Droncit).

Sounds like just your regular tape worms to me

Sorry to disagree Anthony but I'm sure it is Camallanus sp. Buy some Big L pig/poultry wormer from your stock feeder and use it in the ratio of 1mL to 7L of aquarium water.

merjo smile.gif

i was suggested to catch the fish and get some tweezers and physically remove the worms out. I was somewhat disgusted at his suggestion, i'm sure it perhaps the best way to get it out. However, i can't bring myself to do it...

Most of the worm is inside of the fish. It is hooked into the stomach of the fish. Pulling them out will no get all the worms and probably damage the stomach of the fish. Not to mention the worms can contract into the fish.

You need to use a specific wormicide as covered in the other posts. A specific wormicide is not poisonous to the fish unless massively overdosed (alhough some less specific treatments use organophosphates, such as para-ex, and are harmfull in high doses). They operate specifically on the worm in mechanisams such as disrupting the worms muscular system.

As noted in other threads, make sure you use a wormicide base suitable for the fish tank and not one that is full of sugar. Friends have had sucess with bird wormers that have a combination of flat and round worm treatments in a partially soluble tablet mixed in tank water.

In my experience worms are very common in imported rams.

The reason i said regular tape worms is because it is more common than most other worms especially in Angelfish and there is nothing said that suggests anything other than tape worms, but if you are adiment that it is Camallanus sp then i guess ill trust your oppinion over mine Merj smile.gif......just this once...lol.

Anthony thumb.gif

PS: I don't know if people have noticed but i hate being wrong rolleyes.gif ... laugh.gif

Camallanus sp.

user posted image

These are from a dissected bolivian butterfly. Note the thin red tail of the worm. Only a fraction of the worms protrudes.

The red colour comes from the fish blood they ingest from the stomach wall.

hi Ant, if you read my first post i said its not tapeworms as i have seen them (in discus/white worm) but thanks for your help anyway.

mianos thanks for the photo, the worms look pretty much like that. However. the red line doesn't appear to be so distict (maybe it does on a closer level.)

Anyway, the medicatation is $35 for 1 LT (can't remember the bottle name but i got it from doing a search and someone suggested it) i haven't purchased it yet.

But, before i do i would like to know is it safe to use with scale-less fish ie. BN/peppermints/corys.?

Damn i've been proved wrong..... mad.gif.......... laugh.gif...and sorry i didn't read the first post properly..i've come across a bit ignorant, that wasn't my intention blush.gif

Anthony

Ok thanks for the reply..

apparently its dose @ 1ml per 7litres.

Also how do i treat my fish, just pour the liquid into my tank?

Is there something i should be wary off...

sorry about the endless questions

Yep 1mL per 7L....the only fish I have seen it negatively affect (read *kill*) were lion heads. You need to gravel vacuum the next day (24 hours later) to remove dead worms etc.

merjo smile.gif

I have found Nilverm to be the best treatment for camallanus. Try to get it quickly, I left it for too long one time and it got into everything but my pleco.

Good luck laugh.gif

Update:

I've purchased big L's $31 for 1L (bit on the pricey side)

But i couldn't track any down where i lived expect for one shop, the others had to order it in. Dosed my tank @ 1ml per 7L (1ml contains 27mg of the L** what ever active ingidient it is)

Don't know whether to add my Peppermints which were in the same tank a month ago into the medicated tank as well... (which are a biatch to catch out of a planted tank). I rather be safe then sorry... but at the same time if my fish for some reason flipout in the medicated tank i rather it not be my PM as they are close to breeding size.

arg! painful 24hrs

I know of someone who intentionally overdosed to see the point at which Nilverm pig and poultry wormer killed clown loaches....it was 7 x the recommended strength so I think you can rest easy with the peppermints at that dosage.

merjo smile.gif

• 6 months later...

What are some other symptoms of nematodes as I cannot see anything protruding from my fireblues anus but it hasnt been normal lately and seems to be rapidly moving its pectoral fins (spasms almost) against its belly. He has also refused to eat for about a week now. Would this be nematodes or something else?

thanks in advance!

Archived