WC Frontosa male isn't eating

frontoes

Does anyone knows how I can make my WC male frontosa to eat? Every time I feed them, it seems that the females goes insane to eat while the male cruises across the tank passing through the food. It has been happening for a long time now...

Thanks

Try live black worms,,, but only to trigger feeding or to keep from being malnourished.

Blackworms are expensive and basically like crack/drugs to fish.

If it takes live blackworms,,, instantly try to replace with freeze dried worms ASAP,,,, then ween to pellet or flake.

I have obtained wild caught fish many, many times and only 2-3 times this has ever happened to me.

Wildcaught fish Definetely respond to flake better than pellet at the beginning.

Brine shrimp flake & sera-flora.

On a different tangent,,, unlikely,,,, but a possibility,,,, parasites.

If you want to cover this as a precautionary measure,,, then treat with a internal/external parasite medication.

But you say a long time,,, how long not eating ????

It has been going on for at least around 1 year since I brought them. When I first had it around 8 cms they were all eating until I moved them into one tank and every since the male rarely eats its always the females that goes munching every pellet and bloodworms. The male kinda acts as if he is blind or something, the food just go past him....

Lloyd, I think it is a alpha male as he darkens pretty quick and has a nice long finnage but he isn't that large...I'm guessing around 22cm mark maybe under.

How would I know if it is parasite??? I guessing its not otherwise he would be dead by now..

Alright I'll post a pic of the male tonight...

It looks fine to me but it just doesn't eat or even when it does eat he will only take 2 bites max (if I'm lucky) then cruises across the tank while the females are going insane eating the foods and goes straight pass the food.

'male kinda acts as if he is blind' perhaps he has gone blind in one or both eyes? bumps into things?

If you have a separate tank large enough, put him in there by himself to test. Don't feed for coupla days or a week and he'll soon learn to eat again.

Archived