Willy is sad today-

Willy Wombat

Today i took all my show-tank fish to the local LFS. (Im moving house) So, apart from some little babies - I no longer have any fish worthy of mention on the Sydney cichlid board. :):B:) It is a sad day - very difficult to part with them all...

It wil be at least another month and a half until i get some new ones (after Christmas - tank cycling etc). Im thinking Calvus and a few other Lake tangs. Anyone else got some suggestions for a 4*2*2. Got to be African.

Im trying to take my mind off this sad day by doing some reaseach and planning out the new look. :D :D :D

Any sympathy will be gladly received

WW :)

go some malawi haps

can never go wrong there :D

james

And i have an empty 4fter just waiting to be stocked.......... :o

Did you consider boarding them some where ?

I recently moved house(6 months ago) and had to sell pretty much everything. I had no fish for 8 months............you'll be fine. :unsure

Lata

Matt

Couthern comfort - used to keep N. venustus - great fish - i do like haps! The shop i sold my guys to today had some good looking N. livingstoni for sale.

hey willy :o

so sad to see you giving up ur fish. i know how u feel mate.

i'm also living at my sis' place for the time being. couldn't part with my fish but i sold my tank and have placed the fish in that big black tub u can get at bunnings for $50.

my sis is kind enough to let me keep them in their garage.

moving with fish is really really really hard, too much hassle and a lot to worry about.

i'm afraid i have to endure another of that when we finally move in to our new home. whenever that is!

good luck with ur new setup! :unsure

my condolances steve,

wow researching your next fish purchase.... I've been thinking 'bout doing that someday, perhaps when I've kicked this instant gratification habit :unsure

you could go for tha darth vadar theme...

black background, black substrate, black calvus, black occies, peppermint bristlenose, nigripinnis and some low wattage blue neon lights.

or why not go the whole hog.... scale up to an 8x2.5x2.5 and add some Benthochromis tricoti as well

hmmm might shuffle a few fish around and try it myself ('cept not the monster tank and tricoti bits).

WW, you have the right idea...go for the Tangs, specially if you are having one 4x2x2.

My suggestions;

:Alto-any one of them that suits as long as they are good.

:C.leptosoma- once again, pick the species you like but make sure they are not Jumbos...nigripinis would be a nice alternative too.

:Chalinochromis - C.brichardi would be my choice but there are a few morphs to choose from.

HTH

Thanks for your sympathy to those who expressed it.

I guess i will have the christmas period to think it over - Nigel if you can get me those new julies - then i would be keen to put them in the tank - otherwise i will have to see what is around in January. With the warm weather coming up perhaps everyone will be getting some good spawns.

Laurie - I like the vadar idea. I could get this girl i know to create a large, life size ceramic vadar "head" (complete with holes), and glaze it black. It could be the center piece of my tank and the fish could live in the head and swim around it.... :lol: :lol:

Mazimbwe: Are C.brichardi very aggressive?

Cheers

WW :&

Hi WW -

Don't despair ;) - an empty tank is kind of a blank canvas :8.

Here's my suggestion.

Build a large pile of rocks in the tank say in the back corner of the tank.

A colony of Julidochromis spp. I'd recommend J. regani 'Zambia Gold' or 'Kipili' although most of the others are nice also.

In the open sand place, directly in front of the rock pile place a heap of shells and add a shell dweller (maybe N. ocellatus, N. multifasciatus, N. brevis) or something similar.

For the open sand - you could try your hand at some sand sifters Callochromis pleurospilus are very nice. Equally - you could have some Ectodus descamsii 'Ndole Bay'.

All of these suggestions would breed hapily in a tank that size and while you may lose a few fry here and there some would survive (although you'd need to strip the mouthbrooding sifters). A little slice of Lake Tanganjika in your lounge room :unsure:.

Cheers -

Hi Willy

i can empathise with you , i dont even know why im still frequenting the SCP as often as i do as i have no fish and no tanks :) well unless you can call a empty 38 litre a tank , hopefully that will change in time. Look on the bright side you still have a big tank !

Sarah

hmmm...not sure if the C.brichardi are agro as I haven't had the pleasure, and believe me I would love some, of their company :8

However, I have had C.popelini and they were only agressive towards other Chalino's, Julies and(I hear) Lepidiolamprologus. I know that they are compatible as a pair and they are compatible with the fish that I listed in the original post.

As has been suggested you would need to construct the tank to siut. With the Chalino's a pile of rocks at one end of the tank would become theirs, as much bare sand as you can manage and some more rocks or spawning-shells for the Alto's would be the way to go , IMO. Don't build the rocks to high and the Cyps will have the open water.

If ya have any more questions about my experience with the popelini I would be more than happy to answer you e-mails...there are also a few people who have some of my popelini fry on this forum who can let you know of their experience with them.

HTH

Thanks for all that info Yew and Mazimbwe - it has been noted! :unsure

Sarah: Sorry to hear that you are also tankless. Perhaps Santa will be kind.

WW,

If you are researching your new tank layout this link may help Cichild-forum.com they have a search facility that you can look up names and they may even have a species profile on the fish. For example, check this link out Brichardi it may answer some of questions and it may take your mind off your despair until January

cheers

PR

:D

Archived