Bogwood and Tannic Acid

</STRONG></DIV><H1>Bogwood making water all yellow?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: FishFan</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi guys, what chemical could i use to fasten up this process of getting rid of the coloring coming from bogwood? I have 2 pieces of log in water for the last 2 months and it keeps turning the water in the bucket yellow. I do frequent water changes and its still the same. I remembered someone saying buying some chemical from the chemist? What chemical is this exactly? Also any other ways to treat it?

<br>

<br>

Thanks in advance

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: burundi 6 bar</STRONG><BR><BR>Nothing will stop it leaching tannins into the water ever.

<br>

cheers

<br>

darryl

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Chilli Powder</STRONG><BR><BR>Some say boil the wood, some say add salt when soaking the wood and there are countless other theories. One that works for sure is Seachem Purigen. Put the Seachem stuff in a stocking or similar and put it into your filter. That will clear up the water. The other alternative is to soak it in a big tub, like what you are doing now for about six months. There is no gurantee with that either. Sorry.

<br>

<br>

Arj.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: bijengum</STRONG><BR><BR>I use a fair bit of wood I collect off my own place. The only answer is time. I have a 5 footer that has had some it for about 8 months. It is just starting to slow down the leaching process. The purigen in the filter does work also.

<P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Guys -

<br>

<br>

The problem here is tannic acid - which leaches from the wood and changes the colour of the water. To a tea/yellow colour. Different woods contain different amounts of tannins.

<br>

<br>

Boiling the wood speeds up the process as it allows the water to more effectively get into the wood.

<br>

<br>

There are two methods of removal once in your tank water. 1. water changes. 2. Use an adsorbate. Adsorbates stick the tannic acids to the outside of the substrate. Both "purigen" and "activated carbon" are adsorbates. Purigen is rechargable - while carbon is not. Purigen is considerably more expensive however.

<br>

<br>

Over time the amount of tannins leaching from the wood will decrease.

<br>

<br>

Archived