Cyp wasting in fry

krellious

A few months ago i lost about 25 malasa fry to wasting orrandom deaths. Saw some with bent bodies so i know wasting was part of it. Others seemed fine but died. Anyway 1 fish survived and has been fine for a month or 3. What i want to know is when you guys think the disease will have passed and i can add it back to a fry saver in the mian tank without risk or respreading it. Currently he is about 2cm.

It doesn't spread like that,, it just seems that way.

They are all subjected to the same environmental factors,,,, so they are all weakened in the same way,,, and the waisting disease is always prevelent waiting to take hold when the fish is week.

Some people may detest this.

Calcium chloride to steer GH high.

And what ever you would use to make KH high also, which I use sodium bicarb.

I feel that high KH and high calcium concentrate helps with this issue.

Usually if you can raise a bunch of fry and grow them into next breeders generation, these ones will produce stronger fry.

Cheers mate. I will put him in the fry saver with the new fry. Frees up a 2ft tank now for more fry. I have aquasonic tang and rift buffer so i may just check the levels and make them a little higher to help.

I've never used the aquasonic tang buffer,,, but I heard it only adjusts your water part of the way there and is mainly elements and other various salts rather than a KH modifyer in strength, even though the product is suggested as a buffer.

I've read numerous threads on this and discussed this with a fish shop owner in the know how.

When you check out the seachem range products for the same criteria, seachem per weight shows as being more expensive.

But if you calculate how much is needed to treat per liter,, then seachem is so concentrated only needing a fraction of that compared to how much aquasonic you have to shovel in,,,,, that seachem is actually cheaper and adjusts KH more specially.

Aquasonics KH buffer/adjusters has like old school technology,,, where as Seachem is a much more recent modern scientific form.

If my systems weren't so huge "33000 liters roughly" then I'd use seachem definitely, but as a part cost reduction based on mass I use bulk food grade sodium bicarbonate, magnesium sulphate and calcium chloride,,,, which fixes my KH and GH.

Remember that calcium assists bone and scale generation/growth in fish.

I've considered seachems trace elements and minerals at times, but again it's costs, and scheme water also bore water can already have many of these in it,, and when the fish uses the elements up through osmosis it's replaced with regular water changes.

Tangs are more needy in these ways than malawis,,, but you can get more out of your malawis focusing on all this.

Which is a funny one because lake tang has a less complicated chemistry make up than Malawi.

Fishes colors become more prevelent when focusing on all this, and resistance to disease is tenfold.

My success drastically improved when embracing the sciences, rather than dismissing it all as not needed.

Cheers mate. Alot more info then i was expecting. I still have 2/3 of each so about 6kg so when that runs out i may go the seachem route. I may just add more buffer and hope the calcium increase can help/

Just me but I've been using 'Start Right African Cichlid Riftlake Salt' from Tech Den its $35 for 5KG, its also a Chlorine remover and binds up the hydrated lime which there is some indication caused the fish to act like they have ick. ie flashing.

This gets my GH right up there easily. I'm currently at 15 on my GH test and it generally gets my KH up to about half where I need it. (I think this is because my mains KH is basicly 0) I've not been to concered with getting the KH up much higher as the fish are happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had very few issues with stability (early on before I found this the techden buffer I was adding KH buffer all the time). I only add more when I do a water change. Never had to add any between water changes. GH holds up KH which holds up PH. :)

ive tried the aquasonic and found it really sorry but craP.i went back to what i always use SEACHEM.wasting is prevalent in a few diff fish and elect yellows are one of them.i had a few yellows wasting a few years back the only food i found out that worked after a month or two was new era.it fattened em up quite well and breeding came back to where it used to be.they survived another 6years before i sold them

I know it buffers nice l tested a week after the last change and was still gh 12 and kh was a bit low but figure i under dosed. Wasting only started with the fry when i moved them from a 1ft to the 2ft. Used all the water from the original tank and topped up with new water as i would with a water change. 1 fish is still left and swimming happily in the hang on fry saver. Will be doing a change this week so will measure again after i added more buffer on the weekend. I havent had wasting for a year or so in the adult tanks so the aquasonic isnt doing to bad so far.

Archived