Breeding: Betta slendens

Hi all,

I am having a bit of trouble in my community tank. My male fighter is blowing a bubble nest in the middle of my tank. All my mollies are popping it and he remakes it everytime this has happened twice. He is getting frustrated. I have got a female fighter I am not sure if she is ready to have bubs or even interested in my male. What should I do I have another tank that I can put both of them in or could I put plastic or glass down the middle of my tank so they are on one side and the mollies and guppies are on the other.

P.S Please help me I am learning as I am going.

P.P.S I have another female that is ready to breed should I put him with her sad.gif

Thank you

If you have a female..she's interested. The problem is water flow. Majority of betta breeding setups have no water flow at all, not even an air stone. And if they were to breed in your community tank you male would be working his guts out to get the babies back to the nest that fall out. And when they fall out they will get caught in the current and be swpt away and eaten by other fish. Fighters them selves struggle with your average water flow. The only way to breed them is to put them in a tank on their own with no filtration. If you want all the info on breeding go to: http://p066.ezboard.com/btheaustralianbettaboard

Getting them to spawn is the easy part, if you have a male and a female they should spawn. In the past i had a spawn only 15 minutes after introducing the female to the male. The way i did it was in an 18" tank, i had a large jar i put the female in, the male would build his nest, when i feel they are comfortable together i release the female. The male would build his nest in and around a styrophome cup cut in half. Once they have spawned remove the female (male will try to kill her and/or she'll eat the eggs), whilst not disturbing the nest too much. You then let the male tend to the nest, i used to drop the water level so that the babies/eggs didn't have far to fall and the male would be able to pick them up. I then added a cup of water every day slowly. When the fry are free swimming and strong enough to swim without dad you then remove the male. Provide the babies with java moss so they have lil microbes to eat (infosoria). Then feed them live or frozen baby brine shrimp. When they take their first breath out of the water this can often kill them instantly if the air temp above the water level is different to the tank water temperature (which should be 30oC btw). To stop this i used to place glad wrap over the top of the tank and let air in a few times a day. Ummm i'm sure i've missed something but yea, this was the easiest way i've found. A good setup is a 2ft tank divided in half. Once the fry are growing and swimming strongly you can add an air stone but only very very lightly. Another thing to remember is to condition the male an female for a few weeks on high protein foods.

Hope all this info helps, if you have any more questons either ask the guys n gals on the Australian Betta Board or contact me.

Anthony

Gee Ant, the gladwrap part must have been my idea.. :tongue:

My suggestion is if you are really wanting to breed these fish, u will need a dedicated tank all to themselves.

As suggested, an 18inch tank should suffice.

kev

Gee Ant, the gladwrap part must have been my idea..

lol...was it? It was a while ago now. From what i remember you were full of tips...did i ever say thanks???....I will.... :lol:

Thanks mate thumbup.gif

Thank you so much all of this info has helped me help my fighters I am putting them in a 1Lt tank to them selves I have been feeding them blood worms and black worms cause we ran out of shrimp I going to get some tomorrow. I will let you know how it all goes thank you so much.

P.S Did you put the female in a jar and sit her next to the male or out of site?

Is a pleasure to help mate. I put her so the male could see her at all times. Do you mean 10lr? Make sure they still have a heater mate (appologies if you have).

Anthony

Archived